XF 2.0 Custom thread fields - form position?

RobParker

Is there any way to make the custom thread field input areas appear before the main post body?

The output can be controlled by display order and the before/after message option but it seems like the input always ends up after the post?

Logically if you want the output to appear before the main post body then that's also where the input forms should appear? Having them all below the main post body means a lot of the uses for custom thread fields then look a little strange as there's often fields that need filling in before getting to the main post.

I would also be in favour of having the fields before the main post body. Alternatively, an option could be added to control whether you want it before or after the main post body.

I would be using those form fields as the basis for a support ticket system, and it would be imperative for us for them to appear before the post body.

Fillip

I would also be in favour of having the fields before the main post body. Alternatively, an option could be added to control whether you want it before or after the main post body.

I would be using those form fields as the basis for a support ticket system, and it would be imperative for us for them to appear before the post body.

Fillip

I think making it consistent with where the output appears would at least be a good start. The output is controllable by display order and before/after post so the input fields should follow those settings.

This was generally intentional in this particular usage, though you are free to make a suggestion about this. It may be achievable via template edits.

Thanks

Could we maybe get a better idea of why it's intentional? Is it just for simplicity or is there a benefit I'm missing?

It seems like the custom thread fields would allow you to power a whole host of things (like a ticket system) if the input display order was configurable and consistent with the output display order.

Consider it a bit of an experiment to see what sort of reactions people have, though there are legitimate arguments both ways. Regardless of custom fields, we definitely still consider the message box to be the most important field (beyond the title).

Strictly speaking, we don't necessarily display things like polls where they would display on the thread because they potentially create more noise/confusion than necessary.

Thanks for the reply

I (rightly or wrongly) have been viewing custom thread fields as a way to easily build forms for various purposes without needing an addon.

Support ticket system, feedback form, competition question, etc. They're all easily achievable with custom thread fields which is awesome.

I'm not sure I see the purpose of them if that's not their reason for existing (or at least it massively limits their utility). If it is their reason, being able to position the input just makes sense (especially as the output is already configurable).

Even if the default is not to adjust the display order, having the option to rearrange things just makes it some much more usable.

If this is a massive change then I get why you might not want to do it but if it's something that's a relatively quick change then I hope you consider it :-)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I (rightly or wrongly) have been viewing custom thread fields as a way to easily build forms for various purposes without needing an addon.

Support ticket system, feedback form, competition question, etc. They're all easily achievable with custom thread fields which is awesome.

I'm not sure I see the purpose of them if that's not their reason for existing (or at least it massively limits their utility). If it is their reason, being able to position the input just makes sense (especially as the output is already configurable).

Even if the default is not to adjust the display order, having the option to rearrange things just makes it some much more usable.

If this is a massive change then I get why you might not want to do it but if it's something that's a relatively quick change then I hope you consider it :)

Thanks

+1 to this. I would love this functionality to provide a restriction of what users can post in a particular forum. This is so all posts have the same formatting.

Top Bottom