Custom permission for private forums

Andy.N

Just migrated to XF from VB. Now have a dozen members from "registered usergroup" who I need to grant access to individual private forums on case by case basis.

I know in VB, I can go to Forum Permission and set it there.
How do I grant each user permission to different private forums?

Thanks

You do it with node permissions, either via a usergroup or for the specific users individually.

ACP -> Users -> Node Permissions

Click on the node you want to set the permissions for and either enter the user name in the field at the top right or create a new usergroup and add them to it and set the group permissions.

Did just that, I enter the username on top right, click Set Permission, then set all to Allow.
Still that user does not see any post from that forum.
Even with the direct link to a post to that forum, it will show "No permission"

If those forums are in a private Category then you will need to grant permission for that too.

In fact, you will only need to set the permission for the parent node.

If those forums are in a private Category then you will need to grant permission for that too.

In fact, you will only need to set the permission for the parent node.
Finally got around to learn how that works.

So if a private node has 20 private forums, and I want to give a use permission to only 1 of them, I will have to allow in the node and then, disallow on the other 19 forums?

The approach there would be to make all 20 forums Private and explicitly allow access for that 1 forum.

That way you can strictly control which users and groups can access each of those 20 forums.

The approach there would be to make all 20 forums Private and explicitly allow access for that 1 forum.

That way you can strictly control which users and groups can access each of those 20 forums.
Paul,
I'm still having a hang over from assigning a few dozens members bespoke permission to some of our private forums. I have to do this a few times a year so trying to find a better way to do this.
Can you give me a better idea of what you are talking about?

I have one private category (CAT) with 20 private forums under it.
To get a member access to forum 1,2,3 under it, here is what I have to do

Under Node Permission, click on CAT, add that member with permission to view CAT
Go to forum 1, add that member and add permission to view, post, reply, etc
Go to 2,3 and do the same thing.

Now the member can see CAT on forum home with forum 1,2,3 under it. If I don't do the CAT step, they can only access it if they know the url.

Now I have to rinse and repeat this process for 40 other members. Can you imagine how cumbersome the process is?

Can't we just have a grid view where we can quickly check on boxes to grant them permission to nodes?

Can you organize those permissions into groups? That would be easier. But if each individual user has access to different forums then there is no way to group the permissions in which case you have to do it the hard way.

edit - another idea

You could create a usergroup for each forum, where each group represents access to its respective forum. Then simply add users to the appropriate groups to grant them access.

Top Bottom