Lack of interest Custom Fields type suggestion > File Upload

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Ludachris

In various other scripts like Drupal and Joomla, when dealing with custom fields, one of the field types the admin can choose from (like text, single select menu, multiple select menu, checkbox, etc) is File Upload, with the ability to define file types and size limits. It's pretty similar to attachments I suppose.

This functionality would be pretty useful in profile fields and resource fields, allowing users to upload individual files like a logo, for example, that is tied to that profile or that resource - I have a few other ideas where I am planning to use these field types. I realize there are resource icons, but that feature obviously doesn't give you the same flexibility a file upload field would have.

File Upload fields would also open the door to being able to replicate some of the vB plugins that haven't been ported to XF, like DTO Vendor Tools, which has a built-in file upload field for vendor logos. It's one of the things I am trying to use the Resource Manager for, and file upload fields are one of the last pieces to the puzzle.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm pretty sure any add-on can implement that (just look at the galleries that are out there, ShowCase, etc). I don't actually see where it being core would be a benefit (I can on a CMS or similiar) but not a forum - you already have attachments and any add-ons can implement their own method.

I'm pretty sure any add-on can implement that (just look at the galleries that are out there, ShowCase, etc). I don't actually see where it being core would be a benefit (I can on a CMS or similiar) but not a forum - you already have attachments and any add-ons can implement their own method.
Maybe, but one thing developers are hesitant to do is add functionality like this that may eventually end up in core. This is easily something that could be added to the RM, which is why the Showcase developer might hold off on implementing something. It's not something that would be added in many plugins, as it's geared more towards user profiles - at least it is in the other scripts that use it (like Drupal, Joomla, SocialEngine). I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a good fit for a forum, since user profiles are pretty important. I do realize that forum scripts haven't historically put much emphasis on user profiles like some of those other scripts out there, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be more emphasis on them.

Anyway, like I said, this is a feature widely found in other popular scripts, I just figured it would be a good addition to XF. If not in the core user profile fields, then certainly in RM custom fields.

Top Bottom