[TH] Custom Fields [Deleted]

I wasn't using this addon, so I uninstalled it. That wrecked the resource manager. So I reinstalled it, but now the resource prefixes won't show up. Why does this happen, and how to fix it??
I'll be releasing an update shortly that will fix this. Just reinstall this add-on and then uninstall it again. Sorry for the delay in releasing this fix.

Reactions: sgr
Last edited:
This ripped major holes across our Forums. It took hours to redo the damage. I know Waindigo does a lot of good stuff but wow - we didn't even have this addon active and it obliterated a lot of stuff.

For all the good work Waindigo does - makes us a bit more cautious about the addons now..

This ripped major holes across our Forums. It took hours to redo the damage. I know Waindigo does a lot of good stuff but wow - we didn't even have this addon active and it obliterated a lot of stuff.

For all the good work Waindigo does - makes us a bit more cautious about the addons now..

I've noticed that, he's not responded to any of my questions... he makes these potentially great addons then just abandons some of them. Continuing to rake money in from donations/subscriptions.

I totally understand the fact he has quite a lot of addons to maintain, not to mention other things to worry about in life no doubt... but what gets me is that he just ignores the majority of questions and or feedback which is disrespectful in a sense.

Just to clarify, the bug fix I released earlier today was in response to a bug report I received at the end of February. There was no outstanding bug report from October or November as is being claimed, regardless of whether the bug existed or not.

I can only apologise for any damage caused to people's sites and for taking several days to get round to fixing this. I'd be happy to provide free premium subscriptions to anyone who has suffered data loss as a result of this error.

Thanks Jon, appreciate it - That was a rough patch, for sure.. :) I know you do lots of good work, though, and have been an invaluable contributor to Xenforo.

If I deinstall this add-on from ACP, I will also delete some files from server used only by this add-on - what files can I remove from my server to delete only this add-on clean and secure?

My first test ends up in a blank white site, after I delete all files from last update package I hav installed and deinstalled bevor...

What files can we save delete, after deinstall this add-on. A simple question - I hope you, Jon, can give a simple answer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the bug fix I released earlier today was in response to a bug report I received at the end of February. There was no outstanding bug report from October or November as is being claimed, regardless of whether the bug existed or not.
A quick check through this thread shows that isn't true.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-44#post-812731
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-44#post-825057

Several people reported issues with it and we (XenForo staff) were also aware of it from some time around last October.

You were aware of it but decided not to investigate or fix it.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-45#post-836809

A quick check through this thread shows that isn't true.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-44#post-812731
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-44#post-825057

Several people reported issues with it and we (XenForo staff) were also aware of it from some time around last October.

You were aware of it but decided not to investigate or fix it.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-45#post-836809
I disagree.

A fix was released here:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/custom-fields-by-waindigo.885/update?update=12586

Since then it has not been reported as a bug until a few weeks ago.

As far as I was aware the bug was fixed. If someone at XenForo knew it wasn't, then they should've said something.

I didn't know there was a bug. I'm sorry.

Congratulation Jon - 4-5 months after first error post about this problem and multiple members with data lose. But "good" to see, open pressure can help you to bring out a fix. :(

Edit: my mistake :)- since 10/2014 this issue was reported :( by multiple members not Nov.
Sunka: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-44#post-812731
lemminator: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-fields-by-waindigo.34093/page-46#post-842746

Since my last(6 months later) post come the update . I have deinstall the add-on with lost of many ressource. i don't will install this add-on anymore .

I do not know what to say after all this conversation here.

I have installed this addon, after uninstalling there was major errors across my forum. I wrote several times here in this thread, and also trying in another thread asking for help from another users and Staff from this forum. And this is what Brogan said about that, and yes, he has right!

Although it is possible to manually take a backup of the data and reimport it, you should be asking the developer of that add-on to resolve the issues you are having.

It is their responsibility to correct any problems caused by their add-on.

Just search for my posts inside this thread, maybe this post:

@Waindigo - any news about new uninstall code?
It is not good that uninstalling add-on produce unfunctional default xenforo add-on. Sorry, but I have to say that silence about that on your side is not good for your reputation, nor official silence about that (@Mike @Kier) is good.
Now my situation is to have your add-on installed and disabled, and I can not uninstalling him. I posted here about that problem in August, 3 months later nothing new, just silence. Many users have this add-on installed, and anyone who also have installed Resources add-on, will have same problems and errors in situation that he want to uninstall your add-on, this add-on.

My posts about this problem:

This was at the end answer from Jon W

You will need to reinstall Resource Manager. This fix won't work if you previously uninstalled this add-on. Sorry.

Even, fix not fixed things at all.

Final step was to uninstall official addon Resources manager and install it again, after that it took me 34 days to upload all files again in resources. Yep, someone have not fast upload speed.

I am afraid to install this addon again.
Jo W is good person, and very good coder, I belive, but sometimes he left you like without water in desert.

Good Morning,

please, let us come back to this question:
If I deinstall this add-on from ACP, I will also delete some files from server used only by this add-on - what files can I remove from my server to delete only this add-on clean and secure?

It is still unclear how we can delete this add-on cleanly without to destroy other installed add-ons by Jon.
When i remove all files from last installed add-on package, I become a blank white screen. So I think there's different dependencies with other installed add-ons by Jon?

I hope for a answer from Jon, he is the developer and should can say how we can do this last step. Thanks.

I did not know there was an outstanding bug. You can choose whether or not to believe me on that, but I recently went through all my add-ons and marked all those add-ons with outstanding bugs as "Unmaintained" until those bugs were fixed. This add-on was NOT marked with the prefix, so you should assume that I did not consider that there were any outstanding bugs.

When the report was made at the end of February by a customer of XenForo, my assumption was that they must have uninstalled an old version of XenForo. I was wrong not to investigate this, and I apologise for this.

When this issue was raised again yesterday by a customer of Waindigo, I realised that I made a mistake in not properly investigating the report at the end of February, found that there was a bug (that may have come into the add-on at a later date since the last related bug fix was released). I immediately released a bug fix and issued instructions as to how to restore Resource Manager.

I believe it is the responsibility of owners of forums to make sure that their sites are properly backed up. That it took @Sunka 34 days to recover lost data shows how irresponsible it was not to back up that data and I do hope lessons have been learned. That being said, I am incredibly sorry that my oversight has caused so much trouble for some people and I do hope that my delay in responding over the last few weeks hasn't caused any more problems.

Now to the issue of my slow response in the past to this issue, I don't believe there is any reasonable excuse for this. An issue which was reported in August was not even acknowledged until a fix was released at the beginning of November. I did have an employee working with me at the time, but I am responsible for his actions (or inaction). I did also have a wedding to plan at the time, and I see that the bug release was made on 10th November, just 9 days after my wedding and only a couple of days after returning from honeymoon. I don't remember my thoughts at the time, but this suggests that by November I had recognised how important it was to resolve this issue. I'm very sorry that this wasn't acknowledged sooner.

Last edited:
It is still unclear how we can delete this add-on cleanly without to destroy other installed add-ons by Jon.
When i remove all files from last installed add-on package, I become a blank white screen. So I think there's different dependencies with other installed add-ons by Jon?
It is not advisable to remove any files except those in the folder specifically related to the add-on. For example for this add-on, the three places that you can always remove files would be:
/library/Waindigo/CustomFields/
/js/waindigo/customfields/*
/styles/default/waindigo/customfields/*

(* note that there is no such files in this add-on, but in some add-ons there will be)

If you have accidentally removed too many files, you will have to re-upload the files from the Waindigo add-ons that you want to keep installed. If your installation is still functioning, you could run a file health check to see which is missing. Also, in each add-on, you can also check the file:
/library/Waindigo/[NAME_OF_ADDON]/Listener/FileHealthCheck.php
which will list all of the files you need for that add-on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - i think this will help. I will try it and report later.
This informations should be placed in your FAQ by every add-on.

And i believe it would be a good idea for all add-on developer to give there customers such informations.

Edit one: The file in install/data can also be removed after deinstallation. Or can this be better directly after installation?

Edit two: The directory js/waindigo/customfields/* do not exist. Not in your packages up to 2.1.0.a and not on the server.

Last edited:
Thanks - i think this will help. I will try it and report later.
This informations should be placed in your FAQ by every add-on.

And i believe it would be a good idea for all add-on developer to give there customers such informations.
Its not really necessary to remove the files as they don't take up much space and aren't really a security risk. My suggestion would be just to leave them.

That being said, I'm planning on adding a feature to my Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on that keeps track of every file that is uploaded so that it can tell you which files are safe to delete when you uninstall an add-on. The only requirement will be that every add-on is uploaded as a zip file in order to be able to work this out, otherwise there is a risk that some files may be missed.

Edit one: The file in install/data can also be removed after deinstallation. Or can this be better directly after installation?
Correct. Sorry, I forgot about that one. Again, not really a security risk if you don't remove this. As you say, it can also be removed directly after installation if you prefer.

Its not really necessary to remove the files as they don't take up much space and aren't really a security risk. My suggestion would be just to leave them.
Thats one way - but not a way for save and clean installations/deinstallations in a smart software like xenforo, I think.

That being said, I'm planning on adding a feature to my Install and Upgrade by Waindigo add-on that keeps track of every file that is uploaded so that it can tell you which files are safe to delete when you uninstall an add-on. The only requirement will be that every add-on is uploaded as a zip file in order to be able to work this out, otherwise there is a risk that some files may be missed.
As i say bevore - its a way for members of this one add-on. But you should understand also peopel, they dont be willing to install more add-ons as they realy willing to use.
I see it as a good practice and good will to give this litle information your customers. And this should all developer do so.

But, ok - its my sight of the things as a normaly Site Admin and not as a developer. :)

Top Bottom