Resource icon

Custom BB Code Manager v1.3.4

No permission to download
I have possibly found a bug. When you edit the "BB Code Tag:" field and save it, then it's not working. The old BBCode remains in the field.

BB Code Manager produces 1 query for each Spoiler BB Code in a thread. If I use a spoiler in one post, it produces 1 query. If I use another spoiler in the same post, it produces another query. Performance will decrease drastically in threads with a lot of Spoiler BB Codes used, like tutorial threads.

Can this please be fixed?

EDIT: I noticed that users with disabled javascript aren't allowed to see the content of a spoiler. Can you make it that the text in a spoiler is automatically shown if disabled javascript is detected?

Does that mean that there won't be any queries anymore for spoiler bbcode? Are you going to address the no-javascript issue?
The answer is in the message your are quoting...
I've already written and implemented a cache system for v1.3.
So the answer is yes. Again, if you need a patch now, just look at the previous page.

What you're calling a "no-javascript issue" is not an issue. XenForo is made to be used with javascript. And most of "spoiler bbcodes" all use javascript. If you don't want to use javascript, you can still do your own bbcode with a text that has the same colour than its background.

There will be a single query for BBCodes. It's impossible to get around. The query isn't intensive, it isn't going to destroy anything.

That's all enhancements. Meaning they'll be addressed in future versions.

The answer is in the message your are quoting...

So the answer is yes. Again, if you need a patch now, just look at the previous page.
No it's not. Read my reply to King Kovifor to know why.

What you're calling a "no-javascript issue" is not an issue. XenForo is made to be used with javascript. And most of "spoiler bbcodes" all use javascript. If you don't want to use javascript, you can still do your own bbcode with a text that has the same colour than its background.
When a forum software hides content such like spoiler content from users with javascript disabled, it's cleary an issue, that needs to be addressed. This is called graceful degradation.See this post: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-looking-spoiler-tag.17083/page-2#post-290111

There will be a single query for BBCodes. It's impossible to get around. The query isn't intensive, it isn't going to destroy anything.

That's all enhancements. Meaning they'll be addressed in future versions.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I was saying. I am aware that a query is needed for the BB Code Manager to function, but again, the spoiler bbcode would slow down threads with spoiler bbcodes used if it produces additional queries spoiler by spoiler. Let me give you an example:

A post contains 10 float bb codes:
Code:
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]

This would produce only 1 query, right?

Now imagine a post has 10 spoilers:
Code:
[spoiler]This is a spoiler][/spoiler]

Ideally this would produce only 1 query as well, but it doesn't. It would produce 10 queries. One query for each spoiler. This needs to be fixed. I am using a similar spoiler bbcode for MyBB and it actually doesn't produce any queries. So the coding of your BB Code Manager needs to be optimized :)

When a forum software hides content such like spoiler content from users with javascript disabled, it's cleary an issue, that needs to be addressed. This is called graceful degradation.See this post: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-looking-spoiler-tag.17083/page-2#post-290111

Perhaps you didn't understand what I was saying. I am aware that a query is needed for the BB Code Manager to function, but again, the spoiler bbcode would slow down threads with spoiler bbcodes used if it produces additional queries spoiler by spoiler. Let me give you an example:

A post contains 10 float bb codes:
Code:
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]
[float=left][/float]

This would produce only 1 query, right?

Now imagine a post has 10 spoilers:
Code:

Ideally this would produce only 1 query as well, but it doesn't. It would produce 10 queries. One query for each spoiler. This needs to be fixed. I am using a similar spoiler bbcode for MyBB and it actually doesn't produce any queries. So the coding of your BB Code Manager needs to be optimized :)
v1.3 will have a cache system that will execute 1 query per session for user. The reason you have multiple queries executing for spoiler is beyond me, because none of the BBCode rendering actually utilizes queries except for the user ID and that's only to look up information.

There are also fundamental differences between myBB and XenForo's system. For me to allow you to plug into the system via an ACP panel, we need a query. The myBB system plugs in and does independent rendering for each BBCode, meaning there is no need for any database interaction.

I read it and I insist. The reply is in your quoting text. And again, if you need a patch now, just find one of my previous post.

When a forum software hides content such like spoiler content from users with javascript disabled, it's cleary an issue, that needs to be addressed. This is called graceful degradation.
If you find a way to make a toggle function only with CSS, I pay you a bottle of champagne ^^ If you need a none javascript spoiler tag, see my last post answer.

To solve this, see my first answer of that post otherwise just be patient ^^

hm.. so anybody know the reason why the spoiler bbcode executes multiple queries and other bbcodes not?
A cache system surely would get the job done, but at the cost of, well, caching content that isn't meant to be static :/

The system is designed to store BBCodes in code. Version 1.2 and before continually fetched. v1.3 will save codes fetched from the DB.

I've been using this & making my own codes without issue but today I ran into problems

I made a new tag & it saves correctly but the tag isn't parsed on the BBCode page or in posts.
When I go to edit the tag & resave it I get an error saying Tag Must Be Unique whihc is bizarre because all I'm doing is saving the current tag & I haven't changed the tag name.

what am I possible doing wrong?

Code:
BBCode Title: TABLE WIDTH

BBCode Tag: TABLEWIDTH

Example: [TABLEWIDTH=400][TR][TD]This makes a 400px wide table[/TD][/TR][/TABLEWIDTH]

Activate BB Code : check

Require Option : check

Replacement start : <table width="%s" border=0 style="font-size: 0.8em">

Replacement end : </table>

note, there is a TABLE tag as well that works fine w/ the TD & TR tags.

note 2 : i'm on v1.21. going to do the upgrade to 1.22 but don't think that will make a diff

i upgraded to 1.22 & no change. as you can see, all my table tags work fine EXCEPT tablewidth. i can go into the bbcode manager, click edit tablewidth, not change 1 thing & click save bbcode, & I get the error. any other tag and it just saves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.webp
    Screenshot_3.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
i upgraded to 1.22 & no change. as you can see, all my table tags work fine EXCEPT tablewidth. i can go into the bbcode manager, click edit tablewidth, not change 1 thing & click save bbcode, & I get the error. any other tag and it just saves.
I'll look into it as soon as I possibly can.

Top Bottom