Curiosity killed the.....

Ezenity

So I was just browsing through some threads, reading along not noticing certain things. I went to go reply to a thread then all of a sudden I noticed it was locked; without a reason for locking the thread nor any warnings.
I do not know about any of you guys/gals here but in my opinion, isn't that a bit harsh, unprofessional, immature, other....? I would like to just kindly give my opinions on it, specially after taking 10-20 minutes of reading every post.

I am sure their will be some bashing on me for this, however where is the professionalism?

You're welcome to post a thread on your site complaining about prices, I don't see a problem with the staff locking that thread. ;)
Also complaining about a locked thread is a quick way to get your complaint thread locked as well.

I never said I disagreed. ;)

Nor did I said I was going to complain about them.

I also assumed this will get locked, however I am sure some will post before it does.

I think often it sometimes goes without saying when a thread has been closed what the reasons were.

Ultimately the thread derailed into a handful of people arguing, so it was locked for good reason, I feel. I mean there could be a post from staff there stating the reasons, but I would have thought it be quite obvious just by reading the last page.

I seem to get the feeling that you may have been annoyed whether there was a reason left or not. After all, you did spend 20 minutes reading and forming an opinion about a thread you hadn't noticed was closed. That's always frustrating :p Hate it when I do that :)

XF's job isn't to manage the prices of 3rd party add-on's, they simply deliver the platform for developers to provide addon's. Discussions like that is like discussing how much vB should really cost, it's pointless and bashing something out of their control. Just my small 2 cents :)

-snipt-

I seem to get the feeling that you may have been annoyed whether there was a reason left or not. After all, you did spend 20 minutes reading and forming an opinion about a thread you hadn't noticed was closed. That's always frustrating :p Hate it when I do that :)

Yes, I guess you could say that. I probably would have never posted this thread with a staff post in placed. I am in no position for saying how things should be ran. After thinking it over, this thread probably should have never been posted; this was just me venting, I suppose. :notworthy:

Yes, I guess you could say that. I probably would have never posted this thread with a staff post in placed. I am in no position for saying how things should be ran. After thinking it over, this thread probably should have never been posted; this was just me venting, I suppose. :notworthy:
Venting is all good. Sometimes it is needed :)

Perhaps, if the heat has gone from the discussion that caused the thread to be locked - a polite request to the mods to open it so you can post something constructive might work? ;)

Just use the report option on the last post in the thread to give a "shout out" to the mods, explain what you'd like to post, and ask for an unlock - they may feel it is appropriate and acquiesce. :D

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Perhaps, if the heat has gone from the discussion that caused the thread to be locked - a polite request to the mods to open it so you can post something constructive might work? ;)

Just use the report option on the last post in the thread to give a "shout out" to the mods, explain what you'd like to post, and ask for an unlock - they may feel it is appropriate and acquiesce. :D

Cheers,
I actually have not thought of this, this I shall do. Thank you very much for the suggestion. (y)

I agree that it would be ideal if a reason for locking a thread were given. I also feel frustrated by a lock on athread I find interesting.
But I am also aware aware that the mods sometimes work under huge pressure. Sometimes there is a bunch of spam to clear, newcomers anxious questions to support with directions about components or code snippets or advice about a selection of addons, and a couple of heated threads with squabbles, plus support on their own addons or sites ...
They are unpaid and put in a lot of hours. They respond fast, within hours of a post and rarely leave the board bare of support 24/7.

So if sometimes their decisions are a bit sudden and unexplained I think it's fair to be patient. They have had a LOTof strain over the last year particularly.

I saw one addon that cost $110.00! Pretty expensive, you could almost buy another copy of Xenforo for that price!

So if you can't afford it or don't want to pay that much find something else. You can often put several addons together or learn to tweak enough yourself to get what you need.
A great amny amazing addons are completely free or incredibly cheap $5 - $20 - a 10yr child's pocket money. Plus you get support.
A craftsperson is worth their reward. It's up to them what they want.

I agree that it would be ideal if a reason for locking a thread were given. I also feel frustrated by a lock on athread I find interesting.
But I am also aware aware that the mods sometimes work under huge pressure. Sometimes there is a bunch of spam to clear, newcomers anxious questions to support with directions about components or code snippets or advice about a selection of addons, and a couple of heated threads with squabbles, plus support on their own addons or sites ...
They are unpaid and put in a lot of hours. They respond fast, within hours of a post and rarely leave the board bare of support 24/7.

So if sometimes their decisions are a bit sudden and unexplained I think it's fair to be patient. They have had a LOTof strain over the last year particularly.

Once Clickfinity offered such an amazing option,

Cheers,
I decided to sleep on it. After waking up, I realized the importance of locking that thread. (Lots of flaming, in my opinion.) None the less, It is not such a great deal of me posting an response to something that would just create more QQ's.

I decided to sleep on it. After waking up, I realized the importance of locking that thread. (Lots of flaming, in my opinion.) None the less, It is not such a great deal of me posting an response to something that would just create more QQ's.

Well I think it's fine you raising the issue - and the mods clearly agree as this thread is still hre and not locked.
I'm sure others have felt the same so it needed ventilating.

Well done you though thinking it through further.

Top Bottom