XF 2.1 CSS doesn't show of the website

Spieler5

Hello,

I just installed XenForo today, and when I open the default homepage, it works, but when I open for example "What's new" or things like this, it does not show the CSS of the website.

https://forum.littlebite.de/ works
https://forum.littlebite.de/whats-new/ does not

Before installation I got this warning that I had disabled functions /not sure if they make this problem/:
proc_open
popen
exec

I also tried to disable addons, not working.

XenForo is freshly installed today, can you help me please?

Gruß aus Berlin,
Dave

I also get errors like:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

When I try to post a new thread.

And I also get this in network tab when opening sites that won't render CSS.

1568467686300.webp

I don't have any specific numbers but I would feel pretty confident saying more forums are contained within a subdirectory than are in a subdomain.

There are definitely some differences the main one being that subdomains are looked at as almost completely seperate sites, thus watering down your site rankings on keywords. So if your site has more than just the forum this can cause your site & page rankings to be less than what they could be when using subdirectories.

There are plenty of articles written about this, just wanted to make sure you knew since you were just getting started with this site and could change easily.

Here is a recent article (the video linked in it is a little older): https://blog.cloudflare.com/subdomains-vs-subdirectories-best-practices-workers-part-1/

I mean, when I add a subdirectory in my webspace, the hosting provider instantly makes a subdomain to the folder, so when I make a folder called "rabbit" it creates a subdomain rabbit.littlebite.de, but even if I somehow remove it, I would like to know why does the subdomain not work..

Because the path to included files (css, js, etc.) will be different from a subdomain versus a subdirectory when using relative urls (no domain defined).
And there is no way how to make it work for both? (But how can it work for some forums, then?)
So what should I do now is removed accessing the website from forum.littlebite.de?

It appears your installation was done in the subdirectory not the subdomain. The installation would have been different if you wanted to access through the subdomain.

I know you said that your host was automatically creating subdomains for each subdirectory, not sure what is going on there.

As for working at both , you wouldn't want that it would duplicate urls (watering down your content rankings).

It appears your installation was done in the subdirectory not the subdomain. The installation would have been different if you wanted to access through the subdomain.

I know you said that your host was automatically creating subdomains for each subdirectory, not sure what is going on there.

As for working at both , you wouldn't want that it would duplicate urls (watering down your content rankings).
So if I remove install-lock and try to reinstall it, but I will open it via forum.littlebite.de {the install file} it will work, or what did you want to say?

I wouldn't change anything other than making sure any unused subdomian is deleted.

Your site appears to be working fine in the subdirectory of "/forum" right now.
Okay, so everything is fine, the only thing to do now is to get rid of the subdomain?

// But I want to know why other sites can use it..

You can use a subdomain but the install process is slightly different. You installed into the subdirectory and it appears to currently be working as it should there.

You can choose to install in one or the other (subdomain or subdirectory), not both.

But how to change it to subdomain? Or how to proceed when trying to install to subdomain?

Plus when I make it to subdomain only, can I block accessing subdirectory if somebody knew that my subdirectory is at littlebite.de/forum ?

No changing what you currently have to a subdomain install. You need to uninistall and start over. Making sure to delete the subdirectory completely.

Then upload and run your install from the subdomain not the subdirectory (like you did the first time).

Be aware like I mentioned before subdomain installations do have some negative downsides are far as SEO and page ranking goes.

Top Bottom