Criteria For Adding Features - Theory

Brandon_R

I know the last thing the devs want to hear are a user's theories about something when they have better things to do like building the software but here i go :D

I think the devs need to have some kind of criteria for implementing suggestions and adding features. Something that goes beyond how many people wants it, because lets face it, with some of the things i've seen suggested, if implemented, will basically give xenForo a bloatjob, a deep one. [One of my coined terms :D]

That previous comment is built upon the hypothesis that the devs don't have a written criteria, which in that care if they do, i withdraw all i said :)

For example,

Lets take a trip back to the signature mod. How was that created in the first place? The end user, ultimately the "developer" had access to information stored in the database [a method] without having to store any of it themselves.

I think the devs should generalize that principle and implement it here. Instead of adding things that could cause controversy and debate like Recent Activity why not give us the methods and let the customers apply their specific implementations? We should aim to deliver the most streamlined product, to the widest possible user base with minimal to little debate.

PS: This article transcends the idea of having on/off options in the Admin CP for a feature.

I think the devs hate me now for telling them how to run their company :D

In a previous post by Mike or Kier, they said if suggestions fit into their concept (I don't remember the exact quote, or terminology, so I can't search it), they're willing to consider adding it.

They do have criteria, and so far they've done well to exclude the bloat (Ignoring on/off switches which all of us request anyways). 

I know the last thing the devs want to hear are a user's theories about something when they have better things to do like building the software but here i go :D

I think the devs need to have some kind of criteria for implementing suggestions and adding features. Something that goes beyond how many people wants it, because lets face it, with some of the things i've seen suggested, if implemented, will basically give xenForo a bloatjob, a deep one. [One of my coined terms :D]

That previous comment is built upon the hypothesis that the devs don't have a written criteria, which in that care if they do, i withdraw all i said :)

For example,

Lets take a trip back to the signature mod. How was that created in the first place? The end user, ultimately the "developer" had access to information stored in the database [a method].

I think the devs should generalize that principle and implement it here. Instead of adding things that could cause controversy and debate like Recent Activity why not give us the methods and let the customers apply their specific implementations? We should aim to deliver the most streamlined product, to the widest possible user base with minimal to little debate.

PS: This article transcends the idea of having on/off options in the Admin CP for a feature.

I think the devs hate me now for telling them how to run their company :D
tendentiously i agree with you. also Mike/Kier have wrote something about it (is there a sticky thread?).

bloatjob sounds familiar to me ... maybe is related with something sexual? LOL

Top Bottom