XF 2.0 Creating My Own Style

Matthew Hutchinson

Since XF was upgraded to V2.0 last year, my experience with certain third-party style developers has taught me they can't be relied on to keep their styles up to date with software updates. Consequently, I decided to take matters into my own hands and have been up all night learning how to create my own style. I set it up as a Child of XF's default style and now I have a couple of questions.

1) Which property defines the background color for the logo.png and footer?
2) Which property defines the link color for text on drop-down menus for the What's New and Members tabs?

EDIT: Second question solved.

Last edited:
Since XF was upgraded to V2.0 last year, my experience with certain third-party style developers has taught me they can't be relied on to keep their styles up to date with software updates. Consequently, I decided to take matters into my own hands and have been up all night learning how to create my own style. I set it up as a Child of XF's default style and now I have a couple of questions.

1) Which property defines the background color for the logo.png and footer?
2) Which property defines the link color for text on drop-down menus for the What's New and Members tabs?

EDIT: Second question solved.
You won't really need to make it a child of the default style.

"Default Style" is essentially a child of the Master Style (shown only in debug mode). You can skip using Default as a parent style if you're just making your own. Child styles are required for third-party styles to allow for easy updates which you won't need to do.

Here is what you should look into for frontend analyzing. With an “Elements Inspector” or “Web Inspector” you are able to find elements by their IDs and CSS Classes, so that you can find them with template search in the XF backend exactly without guessing.

This is available in any modern browser.

Here is a tutorial series for beginners that want to use it hat tool and I would highly recommend to look into it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom