• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.3 Creating a sidebar widget with same appearance as other widgets

Neal

I want to add a new sidebar widget that replicates the look of the other sidebar widgets. Could someone give me some basic guidance on how to do this please?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Copy the basic structure from the sidebar_online_users template.

Code:
<div class="section myClass">
<div class="secondaryContent">
<h3>{xen:phrase my_block}</h3>
Content
</div>
</div>

Neal

Copy the basic structure from the sidebar_online_users template.

Code:
<h3>{xen:phrase my_block}</h3>
Content
</div>
</div>
Thanks Brogan but do I create a new template and paste this in, etc?

Neal

I've managed to add content to the ad_sidebar_bottom but i'm just confused creating a widget from scratch. When I created a copy of the ad_sidebar_bottom template and renamed it I somehow need to get it to appear on the sidebar....

Sorry to be a pest. Just wish this option was easier for someone who doesn't code.

Neal

Basically i've created a widget for Twitter that works using the ad_sidebar_bottom template, I just want a widget below that one now for Facebook.

Neal

This is what I have in my ad_sidebar_bottom template which works and i've created my own phrase. If I create a second template named slightly differently but using the same code below except changing Twitter to Facebook and the phrase, that block doesn't show on the sidebar.

Code:
<xen:hook name="ad_sidebar_bottom" />

<h3>{xen:phrase my_block_twitter}</h3>

TWITTER WIDGET CODE HERE