XF 1.1 Create private forum

polle

I need to create a private forum for specific users.

I created a forum and make it private, also post can be published, until that its ok.

Now, I want to let 8 users see that forum, post in it and use it as normal users. How ? Those are normal users, not moderators or anything, just common registered users.

If I create a group, I have to set like 100 permissions before anything, I thought a group for that users will be the solution, but after the 100 permissions thing I am not sure.

So the question is how can I have a private forum for a group of users I decide.

Thanks.

Set the node as private and explicitly allow access to the user groups and users you wish.

The View node permission is the only one you need to Allow.

Perfect, adding the user there grant it access !

This post will have a big future, for me and a lot of users, you will see that :)

Big Thanks !!

I didn't think I'd have to come back to this but here I am again.

I had a category with 2 rooms all set up and working correctly. I had one usergroup that could access it. It was hidden from eveyone else and all was good. Then I found out that I needed two separate sections and I needed each one to be hidden and the users also...

somewhere along the way I've done something screwed up cause now I can't even see them...

arrghhh....

just so I make sure I'm going at this right....if I have a Hidden1 category, and it has a Hidden1 forum.....then I should be able to set up a Hidden1 usergroup that will be the only ones able to access it, correct?

and then I could do the same with Hidden2....

and if I have a person that has both Hidden1 and Hidden 2 as a secondary group they would be able to use both rooms...correct?

just so I make sure I'm going at this right....if I have a Hidden1 category, and it has a Hidden1 forum.....then I should be able to set up a Hidden1 usergroup that will be the only ones able to access it, correct?

and then I could do the same with Hidden2....

and if I have a person that has both Hidden1 and Hidden 2 as a secondary group they would be able to use both rooms...correct?

Correct.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

Creating a private forum

Because of the way Revoke works in xenForo you shouldn't use it to restrict a private forum. Instead you should use a special feature in xenForo called Private node. You will see the Private node checkbox when editing the permissions for a specific node. This basically inverts the permissions so that you can specify Allowed groups instead of Revoked groups. This is actually better for group management if you add more groups later.

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click Permissions for a forum] -> Private node

grrr..... ok...I have not used Revoke anywhere...

any ideas how something could be set to where an super admin can't even see it? I have one category and forum working fine...have two other cats/forum set up the same exact way but they won't show up to anyone, not super not user with those particular group permissions, nada...

what am I missing??

A super admin doesn't automatically have all privileges throughout the whole forum; you have to grant them as with any other user.

If the private node is not showing then you either haven't granted access or you have Never set somewhere.
Or the node itself is set to not show in the node list.

well, at this point I'm about ready to delete it all and start over....

I haven't used Never anywhere either, due to all I had read about that before.

I've got the other cat/forums set up just like the first one. Can't get them to show up at all...

and maybe I'm making it more complicated than needed....do I have to have each forum in it's own category?

What I need is three rooms that are hidden from the public, hidden from the regular users and each room only being seen or accessable by the usergroup for that room. Do I have to have each of those rooms in a separate category?

What I have now;
Hidden 1 category
Hidden 1 forum
Hidden 1 user group

Hidden 2 cat
Hidden 2 forum
Hidden 2 user group

Will it make my life simpler and will it still work to just have;
Hidden category
Hidden 1 forum (viewable/accessable by Hidden1 group)
Hidden 2 forum (viewable/accessable by Hidden 2 group)

in the end I will have some users that will only need access to one of the hidden rooms, while some other users will have access to all three. I was assuming that that would be contingent on them having those particular groups in their secondary list...

Do I have to have each of those rooms in a separate category?
No.

You can allow access to the category for all groups, but revoke it for the private nodes you don't want to them to access.

I was assuming that that would be contingent on them having those particular groups in their secondary list...
User groups is the easiest way to do it. Set the permissions on the groups and then add the members to the relevant groups.

What if I just want to allow a specific group to be able to access a node, what do I do then?

EDIT:

This is a question regarding the latest xenForo, I noticed the tag after I posted.

Top Bottom