Not planned Create poll permission

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree.
It would also be great if we could active polls on per forum basis
We plan to limit polls to special forums.

ATM it's also not possible to limit this via add-on system :( ( no template hooks to hide the create poll input fields & results... I wanted to make a quick and dirty "hide input fields & results (if some script kiddie sends an manipulated create thread post request) )

Is there any update on the status of this request? Or, is anyone aware of any add-ons or resources to better handle this? I've seen the resource on changing templates to hide the poll form, but would prefer not to go that route if there is a better way, or an update on the horizon.

Thanks!

There are both paid and free add-ons for this in the resources section.
Of course the paid one has a few more features and permissions.

I posted about this elsewhere (in the poll improvements HYS), but a permission for this is something that goes against our idea of "discussion types" (something that will likely be expanded over time), which is that the types are generally something that are set on a per forum basis. You're defining the types of discussion that you want in a particular forum. Generalizing, it doesn't really make sense to prevent someone from posting a "question" type in a help forum or a "bug" type in a bug report forum.

That said, I did also note that there is now a direct place to hook into the poll check to determine who can create a poll, so it would be quite simple to add via an add-on (much simpler than it was).

I posted about this elsewhere (in the poll improvements HYS), but a permission for this is something that goes against our idea of "discussion types" (something that will likely be expanded over time), which is that the types are generally something that are set on a per forum basis. You're defining the types of discussion that you want in a particular forum. Generalizing, it doesn't really make sense to prevent someone from posting a "question" type in a help forum or a "bug" type in a bug report forum.
What's wrong with having discussion types in the particular forum AND addional permissions to control who's able to create and view them?
e.g. what about having 2 different "question" types? 1 for normal users and 1 type only for the team providing additional fields?

Or inside a "support forum" you'll have a bug type, a suggestion type and a "private bug" typ, which would be only visible to the team?

Such system would be much more powerful with create and view permissions.

I wish that this basic option existed.

Note for future readers: There is a helpful addon available, but it does not work on a per node basis.

Last edited:
That makes 35 votes! And I just noticed it's still the same in XF2. No create poll permission. :(

My users are a little bit stupid and think they have to fill in the poll to make a new thread. So I end up with a lot of stupid polls or some just fill in random stuff.
I was going to disable the post poll permission for users with less than 5 posts but that permission doesn't exist.

I did notice a difference in XF2 where the users have to click add poll first to open the poll options. I hope this will solve most of the problems.

*edit*
Oh, just noticed it's closed / not planned :(

Top Bottom