1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create New Promotion and change primary user group..

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Moddis, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Moddis

Moddis Active Member

When creating a promotion, I have the option only to add a user to a user group but not change the primary one.

Is there another way I should be trying to do this or is there a reason why it was set up this way to only add usergroups.

Thanks!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Moddis

Moddis Active Member

Cool, nice info and tutorial. Had a mess of usergroup and permissions for many years in Vb, maybe this system will make it easier.

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Once you get use to the idea of the users being in a base group and then adding them to secondaries, it is really nice. It took a little while for me to catch on, but after I did I much prefer this method.

5. Moddis

Moddis Active Member

This is really awesome! I have been playing with this for a day now and things are as bright as day.

Good part for me to realize was that I should not be cloning permissions from a lower rank usergroup and just adding more things to it. Instead I should set everything to Inherit and just give permission for things that n other group below it has. Now its just easy to tell what benefits the usergroups give by a quick look.

I think 1.2 has more permissions comparison so that would probably make it even easier.

6. Brogan

Exactly!
    It's great when it clicks as it all becomes obvious and makes the system so simple to use.

7. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

8. Brogan

Why?

9. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

cause the promoted user goes to a new usergroup with more advanced perms. clear as day .. what kind of "promotion" is this when u actually remain there where u were in the first place. a real life example. u work as salesman u get promotion as a sales manager, So now u are a sales manager and not a salesman anymore. but according to your logic this is somewhat irrational ..

10. Brogan

Have you read the link you quoted?

I gather not.

11. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

i did and it doesnt matter if we disagree or not. what it matters is people having the option to do their thing they way they like.

12. Brogan

The options are to use the user group promotion system as it functions now, or not.

Complaining that it doesn't work how you would prefer it to work isn't going to change it.

Amaury likes this.
  13. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

when a user is promoted how can i display the user title for the promoted group ? it shows the registered user title

14. Brogan

15. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Uh... to use your anology... the salesman is an employee.... his position is salesman. When he gets promoted he is STILL an employee... just promoted to Sales Manager.
    Same theory. You are STILL a registered user. You just receive a promotion in addition to being a registered user.

The problem is you are in the mindset of how OTHER forum software does it... and this isn't the other forum software. ;)

The permission system of XenForo allows high granularity - at the expense of being a little more complicated to learn at first, especially if you are coming from another forum software package.

Amaury and Martok like this.
  16. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Well-Known Member

I'd go a step further.
    In terms of what the Sales Manager is allowed to do - presumably, although it may not be his primary role, he CAN still SELL. So is still a salesman as well has a manager.

If so, then your recently promoted person is ALL OF
    - an employee
    - a salesman
    - a Sales Manager
    and in permissions terms he should have ALL of these. In the forum setup, there should be no overlap or duplication; if he has all three (which is the right way to do it) then they will accumulate with the net result being that he has all of the permissions he needs.

17. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

if the primary user group has limit to edit posts 60 min and the secondary promoted 1000 min which will have effect ?

18. Brogan

The greater value.

19. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

and if u use a template conditional to not to show to group 1 but to show in group 2 how will affect users who have primary group 1 and secondary group 2 ?

20. Brogan

The conditional used would show to members in group 2 only: <xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, x}">