cPanel Nginx with Xenforo

Nirjonadda

cPanel now Support install Nginx on a server that runs cPanel & WHM and EasyApache 4. Does any one using nginx (cPanel) with Xenforo? Do you have any issue? As we know cPanel nginx support have Limitations? Also does not know that cPanel when add full support nginx without any Limitations or issue. As I know Who are using cPanel than asking to @djbaxter @Pauly @briansol @Sunka @Tom McIntyre @AndyB @rdn @DragonByte Tech @Recep Baltaş Do you using cPanel Nginx with Xenforo?

Warning:
  • When you use Nginx, your ModSecurity™ rules will not apply.
  • Any restrictions set in an .htaccess file will not apply. For example, if you password-protected a directory, the protection will not work.
  • If you create an alias, make certain that your path’s location ends with a trailing slash (/). If your path does not end with a /, then your path is vulnerable to a path traversal exploit.
  • For more information, read the Nginx Security Advisories documentation.

We are using cPanel with standard Apache and no nginx. I have also been experimenting with XF2 using CentMinMod on a Digital Ocean Droplet. We will be going live with 2.1.9 in a few weeks on WHM/cPanel while we sort out our relationship with the cloud.

I don't like cpanel. Just as xenforo is a passion for me. So is the Plesk panel. I also used the trial version for free for years.

cpanel/apache for now.

i won't run the experimental stuff on my server, too risky. If/when it's official, i'll turn it on.

I've considered the centminmod stack for a long time but have yet to make the jump out of fear and ease of use for all the config stuff i've done on this box already to work with s3, external image processing, etc.

I’m not a cPanel user, I’m on plesk and as above constantly thinking of changing to centminmod but a little scared of completely doing away with interface and fully relying on command line (one day, I tell myself, one day)

It's not even so much the interface - i'm perfectly fine from the command line.
It's the step-wise scripts behind the scenes that I wouldn't know where to even start, eg, make a DNS zone from scratch, or configure the mail server, or add a new site and do everything that 'add account' does from cpanel. That's what i'm afraid of. I realize that centminmod certainly helps bridge that gap, but I have read and gotten scared :D

Can i do it, yes, but i'm not sure i have the bandwidth to spend that amount of extra time on my server work (it's just a hobby now) to do all this work without getting divorced

"You're always on that dang computer"

:/

With the latest WHM/ea nginx update as of 8/11/21, I still see the following issue:

The number of guests listed on XenForo forums reverts to zero regardless of what it was before. Does it mean they are dropped from the forum or simply not counted?

The above glitch still appears, and cPanel support doesn't appear at all fully aware of what's going on. i'm not at all sure if this is just visual or has some impact on the access to the forum.

With the latest WHM/ea nginx update as of 8/11/21, I still see the following issue:

The number of guests listed on XenForo forums reverts to zero regardless of what it was before. Does it mean they are dropped from the forum or simply not counted?
If you are using nginx just as a proxy to Apache in the most recent update, you need to configure it to pass the proxy header through to Apache to correctly show the user count and have the IPs of the guests showing rather than the IP of the server.

I originally installed it on the basis of a recommendation from cPanel support, since setup screen for the nginx proxy mentions nothing about it.

I did just seek out and locate this:

This is an example of how NOT to guide people to install a feature. The syntax appears OK now, so we'll see.

When I complained about this particular problem with XF, cPanel proclaimed ignorance by the way.

You don't even need to do that. If you have installed nginx to act as the proxy to apache with cpanel, and installed mod_remoteip, you can simply enter the details into the config file for mod_remoteip

Code:
/etc/apache2/conf.modules.d/370_mod_remoteip.conf

You just need to add the following:

Code:
RemoteIPHeader X-Forwarded-For
RemoteIPTrustedProxy <YOUR SERVERS IP>

and restart apache.

Well I did it the way cPanel specified, and the problem appears resolved now. So I probably won't bother unless you feel there may be other issues.

But this goes to show how poor design can cause problems. Being that this module and its configuration is critical to the proper performance of the cPanel nginx feature, it should be enabled as part of the installation, with easy access to remoteip configuration for special IP setups.

Top Bottom