"Could care less", or "couldn't care less"?

Language is a living being. In spoken English, "Could care less" is as widely used as "ain't", "Can't do nothing", etc. As Dutchbb said it just sounds cool.

Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans always put a smile on my ugly face whenever they open their mouths and exhale proper English. It's almost like they are making English language as unattractive to the ear as possible. That might be just me though.:)

Language is a living being. In spoken English, "Could care less" is as widely used as "ain't", "Can't do nothing", etc. As Dutchbb said it just sounds cool.

Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans always put a smile on my ugly face whenever they open their mouths and exhale proper English. It's almost like they are making English language as unattractive to the ear as possible. That might be just me though.:)

It's like using the Thesaurus to learn the meaning of the word, by having it explained by the words that are kinda like it. ... ? :)

Ahh but we are forgetting that the written word is different than the spoken word. Being as there is really no good method to read inflection and body language my own thoughts are that in written word we need to be more careful to use "proper English". When one is conversing live there is more data presented for interpretation.

I advise people to use "could not care less" instead of "couldn't" as it avoids pronunciation confusion. But, I try not to use this phrase, because I like to care :)

Yes "could care less" and "couldn't care less" technically mean the opposite however saying "could care less" still can be used in certain aspects.

"I could care less in regards to politicians however I'm too passionate about making sure the next president is the right choice."
"I couldn't care less in regards to politicians however I'm too passionate about making sure the next president is the right choice."

Sort of flips it the other way for those arguing the matter...

It has got to the point where I couldn't care less! This topic causes so many arguments on forums! On one forum I moderate on (it has stringent rules) this particular issue often causes threads to go complete off topic!

But yeah, I wouldn't personally say "I could care less".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I agree with David.

I agree with that video except the use of the hold the fort and hold down....

see... under his logic you couldn't "give up" on something either because up is only indicative of gravity based claims, holding down the fort could mean... to not give it up. In my locale to hold something down means to accept death before defeat. English regardless of location is full of slang that becomes commonplace and people should just accept it, other than the obvious complete distortions of logic of course.

Other that that I would have to say " I could care less about that video " and will looking for more video iterations of his verbal diarrhea as they seem to entertain me quite a bit.

cheerio

Top Bottom