1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could be the biggest news EVER

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fred Sherman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

This could be the most exciting news ever and could change what we view as our limits to move among the stars.

However...

I suspect what will be the case is that a number of neutrinos were able to pass through Einstein Rosen bridges in the quantum foam. They don't travel faster than light, it only appears that way to the external observer.

2. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

Two minutes too late matey, I already posted this news. But I'll let you have the topic as you presented yours better than I did :) Interesting/exciting news though.

3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

While the immediate effects of this discovery will be small and insignificant, the long term effect will be one that will out last us all.

4. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

This forum is proof that information can travel faster than light. String theory confirmed!

5. physicspirate

physicspirate Well-Known Member

I wasn't too surprised when I heard the news earlier today. It makes perfect sense that certain things can travel faster than light. How else would the aliens get here to probe us if it was impossible?

6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Space folding. :whistle:

Mikey likes this.
  7. jadmperry

jadmperry Well-Known Member

Obvious use of a flux capacitor.

mrGTB, Brandon Sheley, DaveL and 2 others like this.
  8. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

The thing that irks me is they're saying "Einstein got it wrong". Well, no he didn't. We know that for a fact. The speed of light, as an asymptotic limit, is a consequence of special relativity. We know SR is not a theory, but a fact, thanks to GPS satellites. Earth based receivers must include a time dilation correction to account for the SR, because the speed of the satellites' orbits means that time slows down slightly for them to the tune of 8 microseconds per day.

So, if Einstein was right, then he can't be wrong now. Besides, he said it was for particles traveling in a vacuum. A neutrino is a subatomic quantum particle, a lepton. So it cannot exist in a vacuum at the quantum level, it exists in the quantum foam. So it makes perfect sense that neutrinos propelled throughout the quantum foam would encounter Einstein Rosen bridge in the foam. The speed of light isn't violated, since the particle does not travel faster than the speed of light in the bridge, but only appears to from the reference of normal space-time.

So, this doesn't mean Einstein was wrong. This is going to be the first scientific proof of the existence of wormholes. How cool will that be?

Mr_Bob, EQnoble and Kier like this.
  9. grant sarver

Dang Fred, you're absolute about everything, aren't you? You may be right and you may be wrong. Your "proof", however, is just supporting evidence, just like gravity's effect on light. Please, all evidence seems to support it, but even that doesn't mean we "know that for a fact". They could just as well be the result of something we don't understand yet. I'll certainly give you that a lot of your explanation was enlightening! Thanks for that.o_O

And I agree, it's not proof that Einstein was wrong, just that there may be more going on than we know.

And yeah, it's all very cool.(y)

(No, I'm not following you, sure looks like it though! Kinda funny in a way, we actually seem to share many of the same interests. Same evidence, different conclusions, go figure.)

HydraulicJack likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing stuff.

I also don't think this makes Einstein "wrong" as such. I also doubt Einstein ever definitively, totally, completely ruled out the possibility of Faster than Speed of Light, although he is popularly quoted as saying so, I think that might be wrong as many so called famous quotes are. But then again, I could be wrong, I don't claim to be a great student of Einstein.

Forsaken likes this.
  11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaalrighty then.... o_O

12. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I just want to know... is this going to help make my internet connection faster? :unsure: :p

13. grant sarver

Fred can probably fill this in better as he seems to have a deeper understanding. IIRC Einstein saw that as something approached the speed of light, time would slow down and stop at the speed of light. I think even he had trouble though with greater than light speed. Does SR totally preclude >c?

14. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

Always wonder, how do they measure something at the speed of light?

15. grant sarver

Very quickly!

Onimua, Peggy and Kim like this.
  16. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

They probably install a speedometer into the neutrino...;)

17. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Warp Factor (y)

18. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

The Scientists urged caution ... they feel the result is so unlikely ... they figure they made an error.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22/faster-than-light-particles-neutrinos?newsfeed=true

Might be a spurious result.

19. grant sarver

15,000 times?

20. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Seriously though, I have doubt CERN is going to have problems finding funding for the next few years if this turns out to be true.