Cost to create XF Mobile Style?

BGL

I've pretty much decided to build my forum using XenForo It has best user interface for me and my requirements are small. The only problem I see is mobile interface. I purchased an iPad and the Safari limitations with Reply or New Thread not having the menu bar for adding pix, links, is the problem. Likely 100% of members will be accessing a lot the time via iPad and the UI needs to be the same.

Assuming that XenForo development is on hold, what would it cost to build a mobile style that IOS Safari could use that would make the user interface identical to pc user interface?

Is it something that a group of XenForo licensees could pay someone to do as an Add-on or would it be something that only XenForo could do directly?

I think it can be done with a lot of xenForo customers deciding to pay a developer to make it for them. But remember there is already Tapatalk and Forumrunner, and even a mobile style available for xenForo.

In my experience, people do not generally like the current editor, and it is a restriction of the editor that disallows it from working sufficiently on the iPad.

Therefore, that is the only part of the user interface that differs.

My suggestion to you is to purchase this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/markitup-integrator.696/

This has two modes of operation:

1) Replace the plain text editor (this would mean on PC, you'd still see the normal editor, but on iPad etc. see the MarkItUp editor.
2) Replace the main text editor (the one on this site) with Mark It Up. This would make Mark It Up the default editor for all platforms.

Option 2 would make the user interface consistent between the two platforms.

I think it can be done with a lot of xenForo customers deciding to pay a developer to make it for them. But remember there is already Tapatalk and Forumrunner, and even a mobile style available for xenForo.

TapaTalk and ForumRunner don't make sense for iPad because the iPad is computer screen size. Working in IOS Safari as it does on OSX Safari is the key.

In my experience, people do not generally like the current editor, and it is a restriction of the editor that disallows it from working sufficiently on the iPad.

Adding links, pic, media to posts is key functionality on a forum for most users. Example, people are out fishing, they want to post pix of what they caught, the kids swimming, the sea lion stealing the next boat's salmon (hilarious), all kinds of RIGHT NOW stuff and share it with their community. Pix are an ESSENTIAL feature for outdoors sports and many other communities.

But most of all, having the forum user interface AT LEAST identical if not enhanced for the mobile devices other features.

A mobile version or style is essential to all forum software.

On MarkItUp does that replace the graphical user interface with the text buttons for ALL users not just those coming from the mobile side. If it could be made just show on mobile access in place of the missing gui editor, that would be a work around.

But I'm interested in order of magnitude for cost for XenForo mobile interface.

Adding links, pic, media to posts is key functionality on a forum for most users. Example, people are out fishing, they want to post pix of what they caught, the kids swimming, the sea lion stealing the next boat's salmon (hilarious), all kinds of RIGHT NOW stuff and share it with their community. Pix are an ESSENTIAL feature for outdoors sports and many other communities.

Right now you can't do that on iPad anyway.

iOS doesn't currently allow mobile uploads via a browser.

It will do in iOS 6. But until then (probably October) it's important for you to bear that in mind as a limitation of iPads in general.

On MarkItUp does that replace the graphical user interface with the text buttons for ALL users not just those coming from the mobile side. If it could be made just show on mobile access in place of the missing gui editor, that would be a work around.

Check out ValveTime.net on the iPad.

Mark It Up loads automatically on mobile devices. As in "Option 1" from my previous post.

Right now you can't do that on iPad anyway. iOS doesn't currently allow mobile uploads via a browser.
It will do in iOS 6. But until then (probably October) it's important for you to bear that in mind as a limitation of iPads in general.

The new mobile pix uploads is something that all forum software should be building to take advantage of, it will be a huge boost for traffic on forums. Graphics and immediacy, great stuff.

I think all the existing GUI menu bar functions are doable now on the iPad Safari, it needs an XenForo IOS version, correct?

Could that be done as an Add-on by outside developer and how much?

Or would it need to be built into XenForo core and can only be done by XenForo.

Top Bottom