XF 1.4 Correct way to redirect old vb3 forum to xf folder?

ibrian

I've upgraded another vb3.8 + vbseo install to xf and set up kier's redirects - so all threads now redirect as required.

Old vb3 is installed in /forum/
New XF forum is installed in /community/

However, how do I redirect any visitors from /forum/ to /community/, please?

At the moment, anyone visiting /forum/ get s a "vbulletin closed" message.

However, if I try to use a 301 redirect in .htaccess from /forum/ to /community/, then kier's redirect no long works - whether I put it in the domain root, or the forum/ folder.

Any advice, please?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Where did you add the rewrite rule?

Try adding it after the other rules as they are processed in order from top to bottom.

ibrian

I tried adding it after the vbseo redirects given by the geekpoint script, for /forum/, but doing that causes all of the thread redirects to result in errors.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Have you removed all the old files from the previous software? The redirects are built partially on the assumption that you're not changing base URLs; the root of the directory would normally automatically switch by the new software "taking over" the directory. You could add an index.php in your old directory with the following:
Code:
<?php header('Location: http://example.com/new-url/', true, 301);
Change the URL as necessary. That should redirect any access to the forum root to the new URL.

ibrian

Have you removed all the old files from the previous software?
My experience with vbseo redirects so far is that I need to keep the old vb3 install - it might be something to do with the htaccess redirects, not sure. Hence why I installed into a different folder.

Either way, cheers - the php redirect seems to be working fine