Coronavirus case data

sami simo

I think many webmasters will need those days a way to display coronavirus case data and statistics.
there are many plugins for wordpress but none for XF.
Example :

Note: this is just an addon suggestion, its not a paid request.

Last edited:
I think many webmasters will need those days a way to display coronavirus case data and statistics.
there are many plugins for wordpress but none for XF.
Example :

Note: this is just an addon suggestion, its not a paid request.
As this is meant to pass, I don't necessarily think anyone should devote time to an add-on specifically for this, unless you run a global forum.

My forum is in a very specific place and what I'm doing is scouring local sources and reporting on them, as well as members, and then aggregating it into somewhat of a "wiki" timeline thread. The data is more reliable that way and gives your community a sense of responsibility, so to say, to keep everyone informed as opposed to relying on multiple sources of data that may or may not be accurate (there are various sources one can rely on, country-specific and global [who, worldometer, etc.] that aren't accurate and rely on the trust of nations.). But local data aggregated by your members with a source of local news is probably going to be more accurate and quicker to disperse as than the counters to update (I see it myself when it hits the news here, it's not updated in the country until the following day, and then maybe on the 3rd day to WHO, etc.).

Also, understand that this is a pandemic; eventually, it will be over. Although data scraping is easy, a site design can change which could bring down the add-on until someone updates it.

Furthermore, developing something like this sets precedence to do it again next epidemic/pandemic, as well as for natural disasters.

I believe a forum can come together and compile data, while also discussing their concerns, that is more accurate if they report on a case-by-case basis and not numbers at a whole on anything.

PS: You're likely to rank better this way as it's unique content over everyone displaying the same numbers. I rank #1 on page 4 for the highest searched term, but that's only due in part because of Google's many rich snippet blurbs, official sources (WHO, etc.) and authoritative sources (news agencies) for the country publishing multiple articles that will eventually drop... I could probably squeeze into page 2 the more it's updated.

tl'dr: I don't think any developer should waste time on just this one when other counters are bound to be "needed" in other events when a community-driven thread gives your forum a real purpose.

Top Bottom