Core PHP functions disabled

R!K

Hi Community,

I'm interested in buying a license for XenForo. When I checked the requirement script on PlanetHoster - World Platform, I got these warning.

1. Your server has disabled a core PHP function proc_open via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
  2. Your server has disabled a core PHP function popen via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
I know that some folks here experienced email sending and thumbnail generation failures and that XenForo Support highly recommends to enable these functions but the PlanetHoster Support want me to upgrade to much expensive package, things I don't want right now.

Could you please, suggest hosting services that allow to tweak PHP INI configuration and also meet XenForo system requirements obviously?

Thank you for your help ! :)

R!K

XenForo's requirements are pretty standard for shared environments, there really isn't anything special. If you're being upsold on a higher package that is compatible honestly, I'd just move to another provider. There is just no reason for it.

Hi Community,
  1. Your server has disabled a core PHP function proc_open via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
  2. Your server has disabled a core PHP function popen via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.
R!K

I had the same thing happen to me with PlanetHoster on the shared hosting, but my situation was slightly different. The proc_open was enable on the "native php 7.0" version and the popen was disable. When I switched out of native php 7.0 and change to php 7.0 to enable the imagegick extension (in native 7.0 mode, no changes can be made) the proc_open and the popen became disable. With the proc_open was disable, I was not able to get any email from the XenForo forum. I got a error message in the account control panel saying that the proc_open was disable.

Got in touch with support at PlanetHoster, and show them what was going on, and they put my php 7.0 back in native php 7.0 mode, (after I just switched out of it lol) however I lost my imagegick extension. The proc_open was enable and was able to get my mail, but could not enable any php 7.0 extensions in native php 7.0 mode.

Got in touch with them again saying I need my imagegick extension, and they switch me back out of native php 7.0 to php 7.0 and enable that and was able to get my proc_open enable. I'm just learning all of this, but I think they might have done something to a php.ini file to enable the proc_open in the version of php 7.0. Like I said before, in "Native php 7.0" the proc_open was enable, but in the other versions of php 5.6 to 7.1 the proc_open is disable.

They made the changes for me, but they did tell me that the proc_open was enable. I did some research on this a bit, and it seems that the proc_open is some type of security issue. (dangerous php functions?) With a Invision Power Board I used to have, they have a security section in the ACP and that told me that I should disable those functions on the server proc_open, exec, and there were also a few others.

The proc_open function is required for email delivery when using the built in PHP option.
With it disabled, SMTP would have to be used.

XFMG and FFmpeg integration uses exec.

Thanks Brogan,
I was with another hosting provider before, and they had set up the SMTP mail for me. I was not able to get any PHP mail at all with them. I had brought up a issue with that as well here at one point. Perhaps they had the proc_open disable too. Might have been something else though.

Top Bottom