Copyright Purchase

Edrondol

Okay, I have a question for which I have NO frame of reference.

A person I know has a webcomic idea that I really, really like. I would like to run with it but he's copyrighted the name/comic. He's made a grand total of 5 over the last 3 years.

I want to buy the idea from him but he wants $500.

I could change a few things and just take it (with only a slight change to font, title and things like that) and make it copyright-proof, but I'd feel "skeevy" doing that.

So I'm asking because I just don't know: Is $500 worth it, too much or not enough?

He's afraid I'll turn it into the next Garfield or something and he'll be out on his ass. Thoughts?

Okay, I have a question for which I have NO frame of reference.

A person I know has a webcomic idea that I really, really like. I would like to run with it but he's copyrighted the name/comic. He's made a grand total of 5 over the last 3 years.

I want to buy the idea from him but he wants $500.

I could change a few things and just take it (with only a slight change to font, title and things like that) and make it copyright-proof, but I'd feel "skeevy" doing that.

So I'm asking because I just don't know: Is $500 worth it, too much or not enough?

He's afraid I'll turn it into the next Garfield or something and he'll be out on his ass. Thoughts?

Then it wouldn't be your idea. In essence you be stealing something that a creative mind gave birth to. If you feel you can make something of this then 500 dollars will be money well spent. Dig deep, pay up and let evolution take its course and create.

generally when you feel something is wrong, chances are it is.

See? I knew that my conscience was right! I have had like 3 people tell me that the idea can't be copyrighted but I know it can. I'm glad you guys are more moral than my stupid friends.

If you created something, and had zero link to the other, or no link could be associated, then you would have validity, ie. two people do come up with similar creatives and ideas, it happens all the time. When you have seen it though, or been associated to it prior... no amount of minor changes will save your backside from copyright infringement.

Some things creative you would be ok with, ie. fonts. Some companies have fonts designed from scratch, so their font is unique... but the problem is that the font designer will still normally associated other specific font aspects to the new creative... so is the new font actually unique at all when its been copied and built from pieces of several fonts and little actual new ideas? No... a person would find it near impossible to defend if another used that font type or changed it ever so slightly.

That is an example of some creative being extremely hard to prove for copyright. A web comic though... a little harder to change IMHO to make it your own... especially if its completely unique to anything that is being done already.

Just pay the 500$ if you think it will pay off. I wouldn't recommend changing anything just to avoid copyright laws.

I agree with Shelley, also think about this,

<no offense>the person you know came up with this creative idea and you like it. You're not creative enough to come up with an original idea on your own so you want to take his. Let's say he does give you the right to continue on it, what if the version you come out with is not as good as his (in other words it sucks) and you end up ruining it and wasting $500?</no offense> :)

Why don't you offer him $ to make more and then give you rights to sell or profit off of it? or hire him?

just what I'm thinking, again it's really hard to decide or know what is exactly going on as your first post is very short and to the point.

either way good luck with it, I think that the person you are in contact with does deserve the $500. If you end up working on it, post up some previews here so we can see :)

Okay. They are called "Invisible Comics". Here's one of his.

9vchhv.jpg

This is probably the best one he made. Here's mine.

axk9ag.jpg

By the way, I made this in about 5 minutes at work from start to finish. It's a concept.

There is nothing copyright-able about it other than the design he is using or the text (copy).
Agree with that now looking at the examples... you can't copyright an idea or text, and there is no real graphic, ie. a cartoon character. I couldn't see why you would have to pay anything now seeing the above example.

Well crap. Now I'll feel bad no matter what I do. Basically all I'd have to do is change the name from Invisible Comics to something like Meta Comics.

Top Bottom