Cookie problem - login loop XF 1.2.1

Suzanne O

I am getting reports from my members that they seem to be having troubles with logging in.
It seems to be a cookie problem that is in one of the files.
Getting 404 errors on login.
Have tried uploading the files both from customer section and normally. Had the same problem.
You might want to rework the login loop problem.

This is generally indicative of configuration issues. It can be one of a few different things:
  1. The users' IPs are changing constantly. This generally shouldn't happen on their end, though it can happen with mobiles. Selecting the option to stay logged in should resolve it. However, this can happen on your end if you (or your host) uses a proxy service such as CloudFlare.
  2. You've set a cookie path or domain in the config.php that's incorrect. I would recommend removing the cookie path/domain if necessary and then changing the cookie prefix as well.
  3. You've enabled caching of sessions in config.php and the cache isn't storing sessions correctly. Disable caching.
  4. If you've moved servers or something like that, it's possible that not all the data has been moved across correctly, meaning that some users have corrupted records. This likely wouldn't happen spontaneously but I have seen it happen.

This is generally indicative of configuration issues. It can be one of a few different things:
  1. The users' IPs are changing constantly. This generally shouldn't happen on their end, though it can happen with mobiles. Selecting the option to stay logged in should resolve it. However, this can happen on your end if you (or your host) uses a proxy service such as CloudFlare.
  2. You've set a cookie path or domain in the config.php that's incorrect. I would recommend removing the cookie path/domain if necessary and then changing the cookie prefix as well.
  3. You've enabled caching of sessions in config.php and the cache isn't storing sessions correctly. Disable caching.
  4. If you've moved servers or something like that, it's possible that not all the data has been moved across correctly, meaning that some users have corrupted records. This likely wouldn't happen spontaneously but I have seen it happen.
Checked all of that.
It's not any of those.
It seemed to be an Apache problem. Because it was also happening to me. I had to add apache to it. Also I re-installed the software and checked the permissions.
Some of those permissions were a little dodgey.

Nothing in this regard changed between 1.1 and 1.2. The only time we've had reports of this, it's worked out to be something like the above issues.

If you can provide (via a support ticket if you prefer) an account that I can confirm the issue with, along with FTP access, I may be able to debug the issue for you.

Nothing in this regard changed between 1.1 and 1.2. The only time we've had reports of this, it's worked out to be something like the above issues.

If you can provide (via a support ticket if you prefer) an account that I can confirm the issue with, along with FTP access, I may be able to debug the issue for you.
that would be fantastic.

Top Bottom