Implemented Cookie Notice must not hide footer links

Kirby

I am sorry and I'd like to apologize. I know that such suggestions are a major PITA and that they sound just plain ridiculous (I wouldn't even argue that this one does not sound ridiculous), but:
The cookie notice should not hide the footer links like privacy policy, contact us, terms of service and about us (imprint).

Over the years, there have been quite a few court decisions in Germany (inccluding on by our federal court) that pages like Privacy policy and About us/Imprint must be quickly reachable (which is commonly accepted to be at most 2 clicks from any page) and that (intermediate) links must be obvious and easily identifiable.

As the cookie notice does hide the footer links, there is no "easy way" to reach those pages within 2 clicks as having to click "Accept" (which hides the notice and revveals the footer links = 2 clicks) or "Learn more" (which leads to a page with links to the privacy policy = 2 clicks) might not be considered an "abvious action" by the courts.

I therefore suggest to change the behaviour so that the body can be scrolled fully to he bottom so the links do become visible by scrolling just as they would if there was no notice.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Eh, what?

Eh, what?

You read it correctly.

Let me ask you this?

In Europe are you required to specifically acknowledge when buying a pack of smokes, or does the notice on the pack work as consent?

Well, you could probably say it better by using the actual slogan.

Or had you a specific American in mind?

Good catch, I fixed it for you.

It's actually "Keep America Great" now.

Dude I have no idea what you're talking about - which probably makes two of us. I didn't realise this was the suggestions forum so i'm out before the mods arrive, but i'll just leave this here:

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ida-ireland-and-us-investment.pdf

I am glad you brought up Ireland.

Facebook removed 1.5 billion users data from Ireland. I assume that someone was paid to upkeep this data, so obviously, some jobs were lost in Europe.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...lion-users-from-protection-of-eu-privacy-law/

Enough, please. This is a suggestion thread so unless the discussion relates specifically to the suggested functionality, it doesn't belong in this thread. Arguably, opinionated and potentially highly charged topics such as politics don't belong on the forum at all, so lets bear that in mind before starting an endless debate to which there won't be a consensus.

I'd like to see this done for the German customer base.

It is as annoying is as for all non German customers which can't stop discussing about that topic

Although I fundamentally disagree that this is any sort of major issue, I have made some changes for the upcoming releases.

The solution is to add a margin-bottom to the <footer> element equal to that of the height of the cookie notice when it is displayed, and then remove that margin when the notice is dismissed.

1527098402365.webp

1527098835716.webp

There are some small conditions which I will mention now, but we will not consider them as bugs or worth changing.

a) If the height of the notice changes after page load, such as when the browser window is resized, this may leave empty space or still result in the footer being covered.

b) This relies on JavaScript so if that is disabled then the footer may remain hidden.

c) If you have multiple bottom fixer notices, the height offset won't be enough and the footer may remain hidden.

Although I fundamentally disagree that this is any sort of major issue, I have made some changes for the upcoming releases.
Rest assured that it is, there are dozens of cases where webmasters got warning messages (which usually cost a few hundred €) because of hidden legal links.

This is excellent news for all german customers, please keep up the great work!

And once again big sorry for such highly annoying suggestions.

That is not a dumb question, but your reasoning is somewhat questionable.

Unfortunately, no, the margin is not removable.

Feels like I can't win :)
Not a problem. But my reasoning is quite sound... If someone won't accept the cookies, then they shouldn't have access to anything. It seems the EU (actually Germany) is going too far with all of this approval nonsense and can't do this or that and I've been tempted to do this just because I can...

ican.webp :LOL:

Not a problem. But my reasoning is quite sound... If someone won't accept the cookies, then they shouldn't have access to anything. It seems the EU (actually Germany) is going too far with all of this approval nonsense and can't do this or that and I've been tempted to do this just because I can...

View attachment 176192:LOL:

Yes this one great improvement request.

Actually, I guess you could target the specific notice (it has a unique data-notice-id attribute which you can target) with CSS and slap a !important on it (which should override the inline styling too).

Unfortunately, no, the margin is not removable.

I'd assume something along the lines of footer { margin-bottom: 0 !important; } would override that

View attachment 176192:LOL:

CSS:
.notice--cookie { height: 100vh }

Actually, yeah, that's right.

Sorry, my brain is fried.

But, jokes aside, I wouldn't bother trying to obstruct the entirety of your content. They have already implied consent, the "Accept" button is merely a formality and to hide the notice.

Top Bottom