My background/goals: Ran a forum years ago (phpBB), no longer doing so. Blogger on WordPress. Now looking to create a new forum. It will be about Russian politics and history, and I expect 100-200 registrations in the first few days (based on my current online visitor/commentator numbers).
The decision: After some online research, I've whittled it down to IPB vs. XF. Which is better for my purpose?
(1) Not too technically demanding, as I don't know much about online IT beyond basic HTML. As I understand it, updates are pretty easy, there being an inbuilt automatic update button as in WordPress.
(2) Good security. I say this with some paranoia having once been the victim of a pharma hack on my blogs.
(3) Moderation isn't a huge priority, at least in the beginning, when there won't be too many users.
(4) Willing to spend in the area of $200. As I understand it, both IPB and XF are similarly priced and within that range, but more of the upgrades for XF are free. Is that about correct?
(5) Is there an option of registering an account via Facebook/Twitter/other social networks?
(6) Nice aesthetics aren't a huge priority, but obviously won't go amiss either.
(7) Finally, if I decide to go for XF, is there a good case for getting the "XenForo Resource Manager"? What precisely does it do? Do you mean to say that vanilla XF doesn't have support for basic forum features like a TOS page?
Thanks in advance, any answers or advice much appreciated.