Convert YouTube videos straight to BB code when imported via RSS feed.

RobinHood

The majority of the content I'm pulling in via RSS these days is videos from specific YouTube channels.

Unfortunately the only content shared is the link, and it gets pasted into the post as a link instead of embedding it.

This is rather annoying as it forces the member to click through to YouTube to watch it, instead of watching it embedded on the forum and then commenting under it in the thread.

To get it to embed I have to edit and save the post. It would be great if this was converted automatically as a part of the import.

Upvote 10
I am a newbiew to xenforo. i tried to google how to do this but no luck. how do i enable that setting: enable embedded videos?
It's very easy. You should have searched in the ACP :).

Or in other words:

ACP->Setup->Options->Media Embedding

where you will find this:

It's very easy
Did not realize you could search like that. Will do that moving forward. Thanks.

In my setting it is already enabled.

My RSS import settings looks like this:

When I do Import and go see the forum, it is blank. Am I missing something?

When I do Import and go see the forum, it is blank. Am I missing something?
First, check if your url is a valid rss url. It looks like to me though, but just to be sure.

Second. You selected "every 60 minutes". So you have to wait for the cron to be run.

To see your crons, go to ACP->Tools->Cron entries

Not sure if it is the "RSS feed" cron or the "Feeder" cron which is the correct one for it. I think it is the feeder one.
You see below the crons when the next time is that they will run. Of course only, if someone is on the website active to trigger the cron (you need a visitor for crons to run, at least one). If no visitors are on the site, no crons run. They run when a visitor is online.

Anyway, see that they are activated like above (the blue circle on the right side must be on the right side). And if you don't want to wait for the crons to run, just click on the "circle shaped arrows" on the right side. It then runs the cron immediately after you press that button. And then you should see the threads in your destination forum.

First, check if your url is a valid rss url. It looks like to me though, but just to be sure.

Second. You selected "every 60 minutes". So you have to wait for the cron to be run.

To see your crons, go to ACP->Tools->Cron entries

View attachment 202752

Not sure if it is the "RSS feed" cron or the "Feeder" cron which is the correct one for it. I think it is the feeder one.
You see below the crons when the next time is that they will run. Of course only, if someone is on the website active to trigger the cron (you need a visitor for crons to run, at least one). If no visitors are on the site, no crons run. They run when a visitor is online.

Anyway, see that they are activated like above (the blue circle on the right side must be on the right side). And if you don't want to wait for the crons to run, just click on the "circle shaped arrows" on the right side. It then runs the cron immediately after you press that button. And then you should see the threads in your destination forum.

Thanks for your help. I was trying to manual import to test, anyways nothing worked so i went ahead and deleted and recreated the importer, all started to work finally. not sure what was wrong..

If it's of any help, this is what I use for YouTube RSS Feeds... Works well.

Code:
A video by: {author}

[url]{link}[/url]

[url="{link}"]Direct YouTube Link - {title}[/url]

If it's of any help, this is what I use for YouTube RSS Feeds... Works well.

Code:
A video by: {author}

[url]{link}[/url]

[url="{link}"]Direct YouTube Link - {title}[/url]

If you do that, the video wont be embedded and the users will have to click the link which opens the link in youtube. but if you put just {link} in the template it willembed the youtube video right in your post so that the users can play the video without leaving the forum.

If you do that, the video wont be embedded and the users will have to click the link which opens the link in youtube. but if you put just {link} in the template it willembed the youtube video right in your post so that the users can play the video without leaving the forum.
It's always embedded fine for me. :confused:

Top Bottom