Convert YouTube videos straight to BB code when imported via RSS feed.

RobinHood

The majority of the content I'm pulling in via RSS these days is videos from specific YouTube channels.

Unfortunately the only content shared is the link, and it gets pasted into the post as a link instead of embedding it.

This is rather annoying as it forces the member to click through to YouTube to watch it, instead of watching it embedded on the forum and then commenting under it in the thread.

To get it to embed I have to edit and save the post. It would be great if this was converted automatically as a part of the import.

Upvote 10
lol, forgotten I had even posted that 5 years ago...

YouTube is so big now and such a good source for RSS content it would be nice if it was built in.

Sound like a good thing to have to me. Even if it doesn't get a lot of votes (mostly because most people just won't see it), not sure why this wouldn't be implemented now.

Hello,

I am curious if anyone has any other YouTube data working besides {link}, {author}, and {title}. Specifically I'd love a way to get the video description and/or the date/time it was published, both seem to be available in the stream data but haven't found anything that works for them. No issues so for using it for videos on 2.05 with the embedding enabled.

Hello,

I am curious if anyone has any other YouTube data working besides {link}, {author}, and {title}. Specifically I'd love a way to get the video description and/or the date/time it was published, both seem to be available in the stream data but haven't found anything that works for them. No issues so for using it for videos on 2.05 with the embedding enabled.
I don't have access to the code at the moment but have you poked around XF\BbCode\Helper\YouTube to see you can grab it in there?

I'm looking at it now... Honestly can't make heads or tails of it- but I don't see anything related to the description in the code... Perhaps an additional bbcode could be created that takes the same youtube URL and returns the video description only... It's somewhere to start anyway... Thanks.

I am not 100% but I think you need a Google account to get more information from the API, which is why the feeder can't get the description.

Specifically I'd love a way to get the video description and/or the date/time it was published, both seem to be available in the stream data but haven't found anything that works for them
What's a feed url you're using so we can see exactly what's in there? 🤔

I'm looking at it now... Honestly can't make heads or tails of it- but I don't see anything related to the description in the code... Perhaps an additional bbcode could be created that takes the same youtube URL and returns the video description only... It's somewhere to start anyway... Thanks.
I'm home, had some caffeine, clarity has been achieved... for embedding YT videos there isn't much going on, it's just grabbing the video ID and a start time from the URL and then using plain HTML to to insert the YT iframe tag in the post. In other words, nothing 'out of the box' will grab the additional info besides the standard RSS tags that XF parses.

I'd love to achieve that too... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom