• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Conversation with User on Moderation

Arik

When an admin or a moderator performs one of the following actions:

Move a thread
Merge a thread
Delete a thread

this mod automatically starts a conversation with the OP letting them know about the action.

This mod is tied into the option menu, letting you control which actions trigger the conversation. It also allows you to add on additional users to be included in the conversation.

This was done as a request. Original request is here.

Version 1.1 released.
  • Bug fixed where user was unable to receive Conversations
  • Added ability for admin to enable/disable replies globally.

Things on my to-do list:
  • Link back to the thread/forum (where available) within the conversation
  • Create an option to lock conversation
  • Allow moderator to add reason for action to report
  • Include additional Moderator actions
  • Allow for an alert in lieu of a conversation

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.51.00 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.51.00 PM.webp
    30 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.51.34 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.51.34 PM.webp
    14 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.53.28 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.53.28 PM.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.54.00 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 8.54.00 PM.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Conversation on Moderation v1.1.zip
    Conversation on Moderation v1.1.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 45
Testing... will report back with any mishaps. :)

would be a good idea to have your Asp folder inside a library folder..

edit: also would be good to send the entered reason as well along with the converstaion.

edit: also would be good to send the entered reason as well along with the converstaion.

That and linking to the thread/forum within the conversation are on my to-do list.

The UI is fairly straight-forward until you get to Delete, which already prompts you for a reason on soft delete, but not hard delete.

I bet this will help alot of forum admins and cut down some more complaining. Great job Arik.

does it have an option for the conversations to be locked?
i wouldnt want to encourage a bunch of back and forth.

does it have an option for the conversations to be locked?
i wouldnt want to encourage a bunch of back and forth.

No. I briefly considered it, but the user could just start a new conversation with the moderator. If it's open, and an administrator is included on the conversation, it at least keeps the back and forth (bickering?) in front of the highest authority.

It'd be fairly trivial to add, though.

Idea is good but I think Conversation is a bigger thing, I would prefer an Alert on Moderation actions.

The way it's set up, there's also a certain level of accountability. The user can see who moderated their thread, and ask any pertinent questions about it in one place. And, anybody who should be included can be included.

The other side of this, too, is the original request was to have a more permanent solution than to leave a redirect in place. Alerts are cleaned up after a while.

Again, however, I can't see it being too difficult to add that into the mix.

Can we have screenshots of options, etc, please, so we don't have to install it just to see its functions?

Nice mod... see this having much promise.

No. I briefly considered it, but the user could just start a new conversation with the moderator. If it's open, and an administrator is included on the conversation, it at least keeps the back and forth (bickering?) in front of the highest authority.
well, they cannot initiate a pm as the admin and moderation team only accept pms from people they follow.
i suppose i would view any pm-on-moderation as a courtesy notification rather than an invitation to appeal and bargain behind the scenes.

Can we have screenshots of options, etc, please, so we don't have to install it just to see its functions?

Nice mod... see this having much promise.

Updated

well, they cannot initiate a pm as the admin and moderation team only accept pms from people they follow.
i suppose i would view any pm-on-moderation as a courtesy notification rather than an invitation to appeal and bargain behind the scenes.

Gotcha. Like I said, won't be tough to change.

Idea is good but I think Conversation is a bigger thing, I would prefer an Alert on Moderation actions.

Second look, alert's going to be tougher than I originally thought. By default, XenForo doesn't have an alert handler for threads, which means I'd have to write one (and the install code that goes along with that).

Not impossible, just likely not something I'm going to get to soon.

Uninstalled for now... though definitely a good start. Delete working from the mod menu only vs. both mod menu and post... not so good. Would like to see it apply to all mod abilities though eventually, merge, undelete, etc, so its a true teller of what a mod does with the member, to the member themselves.

Arik, how about including the reason into the conversation? like:

Hello user,

You threas has been delete. Reason: blahblahblah

Arik, how about including the reason into the conversation? like:

Hello user,

You threas has been delete. Reason: blahblahblah

Reason on soft delete? I briefly considered doing that, but I thought that may not always be user-friendly. Plus, there's no reason on Hard Delete.

Third item on my to-do list (1st post) is to include a "reason" field. Unfortunately, If I recall correctly, that will require template edits.

Oops did not see the to-do-list, adding a field to enter a reason would be awesome, but I dislike the template edited :p

Another suggestion would be, maybe have a tick box NOT to alert the user? Lets say I create a new forum on my board to better organize the forum, and I want to change a bunch of threads to the new forum, from my understanding this would start a massive conversation alerts, etc.. Yeah I know would could probably just tick the add-on of.. but what do you guys think?

Stop being lazy and tick the add-on off or perhaps it can be use-sable in other situation where you don't want to alert the OP?

Also, Arik, do you accept donations for your add-ons? You've been helping me quite a bit lately

Arik, I ran into an error when I tried to move a thread that the OP was banned, saying that I can not start a conversation with the OP.

Top Bottom