Not a bug Conversation with title "site advertisement" fails to load

Rasmus Vind

Affected version
2.2.7 Patch 1
I found a bug. It can be reproduced in Chrome and Brave.

Create a new conversation with anyone with the title "site advertisement" and you will get this error:
1636833157630.png
Supposedly it also happens when the title is "ad banner request".

If you disable the built in ad-blocker in Brave it works and I heard it also works when disabling ad blockers in Chrome. But you have ad blocking from the get go with Brave which is disconcerting.

EDIT:

I tried tracking it in the code and it showed me something around this place:
Code:
    // bypasses for: HTTP basic auth issues, file download issues (iOS), common ad blocker issues
    if (request.url.match(/\/admin\.php|\/install\/|\/download($|&|\?)|[\/?]attachments\/|google-ad|adsense/))
    {
        if (supportPreloading && event.preloadResponse)
        {
            event.respondWith(event.preloadResponse);
        }
        return;
    }

I didn't see anything related but I did see an unescaped hyphen in the RegEx. I am not as familiar with JS RegEx, but in my mind dash means a range, so this would mean a range from e-a wheree it says |google-ad|.

Last edited:
Its not a bug, its your adblocker because of the title. You'll have to disable adblocker for that site for entering threads like that. It's been discussed many time here.

Weird how it works with threads then. And it’s disconcerting when a browser with default settings experiences this. I know it comes with an Adblock included but it still feels weird to me.

A fix would be to filter out the Adblock triggering words from the URL. Make them not trigger the adblocker. That seems like the solution to me. A workaround but better than no solution.

Seems very odd to design a convoluted system that requires the upkeep of keeping up to date with every adblockers trigger list/methods and making it so that they're not triggered by the words in the URL.

It really is not a XF issue, and it will happen with pretty much any webpage depending on the adblocker.

If you look in the code snippet I quoted. It already contains some sort of RegEx supposedly for this thing. I can’t say for sure though.

That regex is mainly designed to handle very common cases but we don't particularly want to be maintaining an exhaustive list.

Ultimately it is an overzealous adblock to blame so the relevant exceptions should be made in that to avoid such issues.

Top Bottom