Duplicate Conversation Search

Alpha1

Conversation Search for XF is badly needed IMHO. The XF search box should work work for conversations. Without it it is really hard to find conversations if you have a lot of them. I was really surprised to see this missing in XF2.

It would be useful to be able to search by:
  • title
  • content
  • member(s)
  • date

I know there are already several suggestions relating to this but all discussing multiple suggestions. According to the suggestion guidelines there needs to be one suggestion per thread. So here is one single suggestion thread that people can vote on.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Conversation Labels is a different suggestion. Not everyone wants to have conversation labels. I don't want to have labels and I am sure many agree. Yet, many people will need conversation search.

I predict that if you have one thread for just this single suggestion then it will become a top suggestion. Otherwise it will stay down the list.

I would hardly describe it as "down the list" (it's on page 3).

You don't need labels, but it didn't deter you from liking the first post back in 2013, presumably for the search aspect.

We're aware of the Suggestion anyway and have specifically discussed conversation searching, internally, so don't worry. If it's going to happen, it will happen (not in 2.0 obviously ;)).

It may be me but page 3 seems very different compared to top 10 suggestions. I really think this would have been a top 10 suggestion if the suggestion would stand on its own. Including multiple suggestions that people may be opposed to does dampen the number of likes.

Its good to know its going to happen for XF2. Hopefully we will see it in XF2.1

You don't need labels, but it didn't deter you from liking the first post back in 2013, presumably for the search aspect.

We're aware of the Suggestion anyway and have specifically discussed conversation searching, internally, so don't worry. If it's going to happen, it will happen (not in 2.0 obviously ;)).

When XF2.0 is released, will Enhanced Search also be ready? I assume there'll be no changes to the functionality at first but getting conversations searchable would be pretty huge.

XFES is ready and has been running for a while. There aren't really visible changes.

Conversation search is semi-independent of XFES, though there are a couple ways of implementing it. There are changes in the core that are designed to help search preemptively filter out unviewable entries which is an important part of enabling conversation searching (in the core or as an add-on).

Conversation search is semi-independent of XFES, though there are a couple ways of implementing it.
Does that mean it is included in the next release? I'm less interested enhancements to help me organize my life around Conversations. I just want to find a conversation I had two years ago that I kept because I knew I'd want to consult it some day.

I just learned that we have a tab at the bottom centre of the page where there is "Conversation Display Options", and with that you can select a user and received from / sent by. And it automatically resets to blank. I never thought to look there, was just now told about it. I don't always remember who was in the conversation I'm looking for, but it's a big help.

Top Bottom