Conversation Permissions Question

sophie1204

I have the permissions of all my user groups set so they can invite up to five people into a conversation. Yet when I view the individual member's permissions, this number is set to zero. I just learned from one of my members that they can't invite people into a conversation, so this must be why. How can I fix this without going in and altering each member's individual settings? I think I have the group permissions set correctly, but something's not right.

Could it be another usergroup which is overriding?

Have you used a red NO on Conversation permissions anywhere? Because that will dominate any other usergroup permission a user has.

All the conversation permissions are set the same, for all user groups -- with the exception of unconfirmed users, which ARE set to no. I can't imagine that this is where the override comes in.

All my users are in two user groups: "Registered" and one other. Both groups have the same conversation permissions. My understanding was that an individual's permissions are based on their group, so they didn't need to be individually set. But when I check an individual user, all of the permissions are set to "No (not allow)," with zero as the number of participants allowed in a conversation. Am I wrong about this? Any idea what's causing my problem?

Incidentally, I love how it looks like two cats are having a conversation here. :)

Miaow!

Try experimentally changing that unconfirmed group to a grey No. Does that change it for an indivudual user?
(Your uncomfirmed if grey are still No as they'd need another usergroup permission on green Yes to allow this ability.)

I do know that a red NO is immensely powerful and not to be used unless everyone is to be blocked on that item.

Sigh. We do need a better display of permissions so we can see where an override comes from.

Duh, I think I may have made a bone-head mistake -- I didn't realize that someone had to click "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others" before getting started, in order to add anyone else.

So this has to be clicked at the outset, and can't be changed as the conversation goes on? In other words, if I wanted to add someone after the conversation began, I couldn't do that, unless this box was clicked? And the initiator gets to decide, when he gets started, whether it's going to be open to more people?

So this has to be clicked at the outset, and can't be changed as the conversation goes on? In other words, if I wanted to add someone after the conversation began, I couldn't do that, unless this box was clicked? And the initiator gets to decide, when he gets started, whether it's going to be open to more people?
The conversation starter can open the conversation to others by editing the conversation and ticking the 'allow anyone to invite others' checkbox.

Top Bottom