Control "nofollow" URLs

Control "nofollow" URLs 2.2.3

No permission to download

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Control "nofollow" URLs (version 2.0) - Specify usergroups which will not have the "nofollow" attribute on posts they make.

Thank you so much for donating. It is always appreciated!

If you have the old version of my add-on installed that functions in a similar way, please first uninstall that before installing this one.

This add-on allows you to choose usergroups which will no longer have the "nofollow" attribute set on URLs. You can choose the usergroups in Admin CP > Options > Search Engine Optimization (SEO).

What is "nofollow" and why is it set?

A normal URL in HTML looks like this:
Code:
<a href="http://xenforo.com">XenForo - Compelling Community Forum Software</a>
If this HTML code is in your page, when Google or other search engines crawl your page, they will follow this URL. This is how your search rank improves - being linked to by reputable sites.

This makes posting URLs on your site very attractive to spammers. That's why XenForo does this to URLs in all signatures plus any posts by non-moderator / non-admin members:
Rich (BB code):
<a href="http://xenforo.com" rel="nofollow">XenForo - Compelling Community Forum Software</a>
"nofollow" tells a search engine to not follow the URL, therefore not increasing the search rank of that URL.

So why this add-on?

This add-on allows you to specify other usergroups (aside from Administrator and Moderator) who don't have "nofollow" set on URLs they post.

You may have privileged usergroups either by Promotion or Upgrade such as trusted members, other staff members/contributors, featured bloggers, partners who you may want to grant this privilege to.

HOW TO INSTALL
The easiest way to install this add-on is if you use the Add-On Installer.

Alternatively:
  1. Download the zip file.
  2. Extract its contents to your hard drive.
  3. Upload the contents of the upload folder to the root of your XenForo installation.
  4. Complete install via the Admin CP using the provided XML file.

Read more about this resource...

So...basically soon we will have the option to choose which usergroups gets do-follow backlinks into showcase?
Yeah.

I identified that all URLs (even mod/admin URLs) were nofollow in Showcase. Thankfully bobster let me loose on his code and basically the code I wrote will check for the option from my add-on. If it exists and is set, then the nofollow attribute will be user group based. If it doesn't exist or isn't set (because the add-on hasn't been installed or configured) then it will now do it the default XenForo way (nofollow for everyone except mods and admins) :)

Thanks for integrating it into Showcase Bobster :)

I will be making similar optimisations to XenPorta too.

[ PLUG] This is already running at XFShowcase.com if you wanted to check it out. We're enabling dofollow URLs for anyone with a verified status. So if you check out the Site Showcase by Evina, you will see it is nofollow as they haven't verified their license with us yet. But if you check out the one by Russ, his links don't have the attribute set because he is part of the Verified usergroup :)

The update for Showcase has been released.

If you have this add-on installed, it will additionally control the nofollow attribute in Showcase also.

Reactions: Bob
The update for Showcase has been released.

If you have this add-on installed, it will additionally control the nofollow attribute in Showcase also.
Hey I have the selected usergroups to bypass do-follow but every single one of our Signature backinks are still set to NO-FOLLOW but within the post its do-follow.

How can I make sure that we have do-follow links in our sigs for the usergtoups i choose?

Slightly different from the previous version, this only works in posts right now.

Do you actually show signatures to guests? By default, signatures are switched off for guests (therefore there's no benefit to have them do-follow).

Slightly different from the previous version, this only works in posts right now.

Do you actually show signatures to guests? By default, signatures are switched off for guests (therefore there's no benefit to have them do-follow).
Yes I do show them to guests so search engines can track them, its beneficial for our paid members - I have so many ppl complaining right now.... :/

What can I do to make this happen real quick?

Yes I do show them to guests so search engines can track them, its beneficial for our paid members - I have so many ppl complaining right now.... :/

What can I do to make this happen real quick?
I dunno. Install the old version?

I never stated in the add-on description that it applied to signatures.

I dunno. Install the old version?

I never stated in the add-on description that it applied to signatures.
I was under the impression your old mod was out cause it conflicted with uploaded images - and that this was the new updated version. Since it worked with your older mod, why not have that as a option in this one too?

I would pay to have this changed

I was under the impression your old mod was out cause it conflicted with uploaded images - and that this was the new updated version. Since it worked with your older mod, why not have that as a option in this one too?

I would pay to have this changed

Chris Deeming updated Control "nofollow" URLs with a new update entry:

Now supports signature URLs

Thank you so much for donating. It is always appreciated!

The groups that are set up to bypass nofollow URLs now have the nofollow attribute removed from signatures also.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Well I can't remembe what made it break but it clashed with another mod on my site, I think it may have been the TagMe mod..could be wrong.....

Top Bottom