Content IP Address

RoyalRumble

Hello,

I'm hopeful someone can kindly help me understand what 'Content IP' is.

I ran a search/looked through documentation but had no joy.

I've always assumed it was the current IP address of the content/post that was made - but I've noticed a member posting abroad has a content IP as London, UK which has challenged my assumption - hence this thread.

I'd be very appreciative if someone can point me in the direction of documentation which explains XenForo's IP handling/definitions? If this doesn't exist, a basic explanation as to what Content IP is.

Thanks.

IP based geo-location isn't 100% accurate, though it is considered to be reliable "enough".

Aside from that, you should take measures to ensure the user's account hasn't been compromised.

I would still say a proxy based service would be the most likely thing. Also if your site is behind a proxy such as CloudFlare you would need to ensure you've taken measures to ensure XF is seeing the "correct" IP address.

IP based geo-location isn't 100% accurate, though it is considered to be reliable "enough".

Aside from that, you should take measures to ensure the user's account hasn't been compromised.

I would still say a proxy based service would be the most likely thing. Also if your site is behind a proxy such as CloudFlare you would need to ensure you've taken measures to ensure XF is seeing the "correct" IP address.

Thank you Chris, really appreciate the quick and comprehensive reply.

The user claims the content he is posting is his own, and I've enabled a user agent which is tracking the same IP as the content IP - it just seems a little odd.

I tested it myself. I was in Manchester, UK. My device Samsung S6, 4G. I posted on the forum but the content IP was picked up as London.

Will file this one as unexplained but just glad to know my understanding of content IP is correct.

When posting from a mobile device it is not unusual for a proxy in another country to be used. Opera browsers are especially prone to this on mobile devices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom