1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Content IP Address

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by RoyalRumble, May 31, 2016.

1. RoyalRumble

RoyalRumble Active Member

Hello,

I'm hopeful someone can kindly help me understand what 'Content IP' is.

I ran a search/looked through documentation but had no joy.

I've always assumed it was the current IP address of the content/post that was made - but I've noticed a member posting abroad has a content IP as London, UK which has challenged my assumption - hence this thread.

I'd be very appreciative if someone can point me in the direction of documentation which explains XenForo's IP handling/definitions? If this doesn't exist, a basic explanation as to what Content IP is.

Thanks.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Content IP is the current IP address which is captured when the content is created.

3. RoyalRumble

Thanks Chris.

Is there any reason why someone posting in the Middle East, would have their content IP address as London?

4. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Tor. Proxy. VPN.

5. RoyalRumble

Thanks. What if they're not using a proxy - if they're posting on a standard mobile/cellphone as they always do?

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

IP based geo-location isn't 100% accurate, though it is considered to be reliable "enough".

Aside from that, you should take measures to ensure the user's account hasn't been compromised.

I would still say a proxy based service would be the most likely thing. Also if your site is behind a proxy such as CloudFlare you would need to ensure you've taken measures to ensure XF is seeing the "correct" IP address.

RoyalRumble likes this.
  7. RoyalRumble

Thank you Chris, really appreciate the quick and comprehensive reply.

The user claims the content he is posting is his own, and I've enabled a user agent which is tracking the same IP as the content IP - it just seems a little odd.

I tested it myself. I was in Manchester, UK. My device Samsung S6, 4G. I posted on the forum but the content IP was picked up as London.

Will file this one as unexplained but just glad to know my understanding of content IP is correct.

8. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

RoyalRumble likes this.
  9. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

When posting from a mobile device it is not unusual for a proxy in another country to be used. Opera browsers are especially prone to this on mobile devices.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    RoyalRumble likes this.