XF 2.1 Content bookmarks and the return of per-post share controls

Ahh, it seems like only yesterday (as I write this, it was!) we were talking about the fifth in our HYS series for XF 2.1, and already we're onto the sixth, so welcome! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, (why not?!) you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a tickle and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Didn't expect bookmarks getting integrated. It is a very useful tool and very powerful. Thanks for that.

"Share this post" is a nice small feature. Actually I was asking myself some time ago why we had that integrated for 1.x but not for 2.x. I couldn't find a reason why not to have it.
But nothing too exciting.
Exciting could have been if you could share the other way around, like pull stuff from Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc. A nice way to get content.

Content bookmarks

Fantabulous much needed addition! It will help members to save some of the most wonderful posts for an easy reference in an easily retrievable space... a major complaint resolved! (y)(y)(y)

Me wondering... should I upgrade my forum to 2.0 now and get used to it before the launch of 2.1 or wait for 2.1 Gold! :X3::X3::X3:

Two very welcome additions!

What would be very cool for both and be great for content discovery is some widgets for “most shared” and “most bookmarked” posts.

Being able to identify what content on your site is engaged with by users is vital for lots of reasons and both of these are great user engagement metrics.

I suspect that’s several steps ahead of where you are now but bearing it in mind for the future would be great.

Me wondering... should I upgrade my forum to 2.0 now and get used to it before the launch of 2.1 or wait for 2.1 Gold! :X3::X3::X3:
It’s not necessarily a straightforward decision. It is possible any 2.0 add-ons you install may require further changes after 2.1 (though we still try to keep breaking changes to a minimum and it won’t be as extreme as the changes from 1.5 to 2.0).

Nothing to stop you testing now on 2.0 at least. It’s good to test. Then when a public 2.1 beta is available you can test that too.

Great to see Bookmarks added to core BUT..... it would be more user friendly if there was this added to the bottom of each post. (See below) Most useful for long posts so one doesn't have to scroll to the top to engage Bookmarks.

Sound a little overcrowd this action bar. The icon on top of each post sounds more like a "share"/"save" feature.

It wouldn't be appropriate on the left as that's more for "internal" stuff.

It was living on the bottom right for a period of time, but then we settled on the top right. Fairly trivial to move it somewhere else by modifying the post_macros template if that's what you want to do though.

Per post share controls

In XF 1 we used to have an overlay that could be accessed by clicking on the post position number that gave you various share controls.

We're bringing back something similar in XF 2.1 but hopefully in a more useful and accessible way.

As well as being able to share directly to various social media outlets, you can also copy a link to the content directly to the clipboard.

What's better is that this share control is written in a fairly generic way so should add-on developers want to add this to their own add-ons it is very simple to do so.
Per post or per page open graph images would be even sweeter.

What's in-store next week?

The next HYS is slightly different. On Tuesday next week we will be taking a look at some more developer focused changes. Hopefully you will find that interesting whether you're a developer or not.

But, fear not, we'll be back on Thursday next week with another new feature announcement :)
Nice option, just like the rest. I can't wait for version 2.1.. :cool:
Did you mean "REST"? :p

What's in-store next week?

The next HYS is slightly different. On Tuesday next week we will be taking a look at some more developer focused changes. Hopefully you will find that interesting whether you're a developer or not.

But, fear not, we'll be back on Thursday next week with another new feature announcement :)
Is there an ETA on release date for 2.1 - example before end of the year or is this moreso Q1-2 for 2019?

I'm getting giddy now...release this thing, like, yesterday. TAKE MY MONEY!! :D

Seriously though...great work all around! Some of my moderators are excited by these new features, and I know members will enjoy them also. I've always thought Bookmarks would be a great addition, and here they are!

Also (and this really doesn't fit into the thread), I still appreciate all the work that goes into keeping XenForo usable on "big boards." The biggest one I manage sees well over 2,000 visitors online during peak hours, has 19 million posts, and it works no slower than when we first converted a few years ago. And this is all on a single dedicated server of relatively modest specs.

It wouldn't be appropriate on the left as that's more for "internal" stuff.
It is appropriate in the sense that it allows viewers to Bookmark a specific post not just generally a thread.
I guess we will just have to rely on 3rd party dev's for enhancements xf is unwilling to add to functionality for the users.

Top Bottom