Fixed "Contact Us" functionality not as expected

Rob

Emails sent using the contact us feature are received fine, and appear to have come from the user, however, hitting reply does not reply to the user, it replies to the board url.

I'm using the default transport method with the -f parameter.

They were changed in 1.4 to use a Reply-To header, due mostly to a lot of locked down SMTP servers and some bad anti-spam implementations.

What are you using to reply to the mail? If you look at the headers, do you see a Reply-To line?

We did have one report of this during the beta but I could never reproduce it.

Hmmm... there is a reply-to header.... and it appears to be set correctly. Is this a google bug? I find it hard to believe the most popular email service would not respect standards. I'm sure other google users are not facing this so not sure whats wrong here.

This is happening when the person is NOT a member - I will check how emails from members function now

Are you pulling another external account into Gmail? (Particularly, is that the account where this mail went to?)

Ok, it appears the exact thing happens regardless of whether the user is logged in or not.
The board url is actually an alias of my real account, since I want to receive replies to them.

The email appears in all my gmail clients (web and mobile) as though it came from me personally. If I reply from my mobile client, the reply is routed correctly. It only appears to affect the web based version of gmail. @liv4spd can you confirm the same?

It does appear that this is the case. If your contact email is the same as your default email and you use Gmail, it just ignores the Reply-To header.

Ok, if you have your board email address set to use exactly your regular email address, then this happens. I'd imagine this is quite a common set up.
I'll work around it but google sucks.

Well....

I logged into my gmail, went to "manage the domain", found my user account... added an alias for it.
I then put my alias in as a the board email and this problem is no more.

I should point out im using google apps on my domain, not sure if that matters.

I've added an option for the next 1.4 release to return to the 1.3 setup with contact emails ("Sender info in From header on contact emails") which should allow this to be worked around if you're using Gmail and are affected.

Top Bottom