Contact Form Spam

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 2163
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 2163

I've been getting a lot of contact form spam. I constantly get "requests" from "different" companies offering to do any combination of web development, seo, etc. I put "different" in quotes, because they're all phrased pretty similarly with the names and company names swapped out.

Here's my question: Is there a good way to prevent this from happening? Is there a way we can put re-captcha or some other human verification on the contact form if it's not already? Or if someone could point me in the direction of what template to edit so I can put a message discouraging these folks, should they prove to be humans, that would be awesome.

What I do on XenFans.com is having the ragtek mod 'contact us form to thread' installed, and it includes the IP.
Our community manager reviews these entries and processes the results. They can be merged easily, the IP range can be recognized and blocked in ranges if it's repetitive, etc.

It takes a few weeks to catch them all, but spam has basically stopped (from the contact-us form).

...Is there a way we can put re-captcha or some other human verification on the contact form if it's not already?..
AdminCP -> Options -> Options -> Spam Management -> Enable CAPTCHA for Guests

Choose the one you want, ReCAPTCHA, or Q & A. That is for both registration and Contact Us.

It was enabled for guests. I'll look into getting that ragtek mod though. Sounds like what I want. I just don't like getting all these emails.

Yeah, I had re-CAPTCHA enabled. I'm fairly disappointed that they're able to bypass it now. I'll try Q & A. Any suggestions for the questions to ask?

I don't know why software still comes with captcha and re-captcha, since they're both broken, very hard to real for real humans, and q/a is doing so much better with the right questions.

But, but, but... it helps digitize books!!111

No, yeah, you're right. I usually click the refresh button a few times to get an easier set of reCAPTCHA words. That alone probably defeats the purpose.

I'll add a few easy questions. Hopefully that'll help. For the record I haven't had many actual spammers register, so either they're just not registering on my site or reCAPTCHA is kind-of working. Either way I won't be sad to get rid of it.

Top Bottom