Implemented Consistency please - change notifications to Alerts

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Make registering users better aware that email verification is required.

When I first registered, I didn't know than an email verification was sent; and I couldn't post - but update status - (this should be disallowed also in my opinion).

Yeah, I see it now. I prefer Alerts over Notifications, mostly because it's shorter and easier to type out. :)

Yeah, it was only changed a few days ago. It's still called notifications internally, which is annoying... though it's probably more annoying to change it. :)

Yeah, it was only changed a few days ago. It's still called notifications internally, which is annoying... though it's probably more annoying to change it. :)

It would be nice if you could change it, for us mod developers. :)

Was there ever a yes/no to changing notifications to alerts? On the drop-down under your username it still states 'Your Notifications' 8-)

Yep, agree on the consistency requirement.

I'm just not convinced that "Alert" is the best description for what are after all fairly innocuous notifications about your posts being quoted, etc.

I'm just not convinced that "Alert" is the best description for what are after all fairly innocuous notifications about your posts being quoted, etc.
I prefer Alerts simply because it is shorter. "Alert" doesn't sound that urgent to me. I think users would get the idea pretty quickly. :)

Well... maybe that's (the name) the reasons then why I keep being attracted to my Alert box everytime there's a new Alert. ;) I get your point about the name... on Facebook it's also called 'Notifications' and it just seems a little more fitting, depending how you interpret the word 'Alert', that is. But this is such a minor non-issue thing... and we do have a Phrase Manager, don't we?

(edit: talking about names; in vBulletin the last years I always needed to remember... am I talking about Notices or Notifications? That software used 2 different systems with almost the same name).

This part is [implemented] by now.
Why have you even posted in this thread with a comment that means nothing to anyone 2.5 years after it was implemented?

It is so annoying reading a thread that initially looked interesting only to find you at the bottom of it bumping a thread for no reason whatsoever.

Why have you even posted in this thread with a comment that means nothing to anyone 2.5 years after it was implemented?

It is so annoying reading a thread that initially looked interesting only to find you at the bottom of it bumping a thread for no reason whatsoever.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I already talked about this (the fact that some members find it apparently annoying that other members are helping to clean stuff out out this way) to a Moderator and the answer was that they actually find it 'extremely useful when members let us know that they have been implemented, so please do carry on'. Having said that, I will now follow the tip that was also given to use the [report] function more to prevent people like yourself to get annoyed. Would this work better for you?

Having said that, I do have to express that I am sorry to see that this kind of constructive help (which it is, obviously) is perceived by some in this community as so 'annoying' and 'bumping for no reason whatsoever'.

Greetings and thank you for your understanding,

Top Bottom