Considering of adding more support to Touch Screen Devices?

Bonai

I'm considering to establish a forum about portable devices like iPad, and I've been looking for a right forum solution. I've seen some others like IPB and vBulletin (and personally tried vBullettin a few years ago), but the way they do the UI design just way too heavy and complicated for a portable device.

So, luckily, I found xenForo!

The layout is so simple that I fell in love with it immediately (at the first sight), and as navigating more features and details in this forum, I found it's exactly what I want! It matches almost all my expectations,
  • Simplistic and beautiful design
  • Clean and light UI
  • Superb concept considering the optimization of SEO
  • (I personally like and was surprised) Integrated Gravatar service for new members
But so far, since it's still not yet released, I guess the developer team is still working on tuning it to perfection. Thus I found a few tiny issues that occurred to me,
  • Hover over JS does not support Touch Screen (it required to click on the object to function, and that conflicts with the hyperlink)
  • Text editor does not support rich text buttons in any of the browsers on my iPad
  • Some tiny CSS issues required more tests with different browsers
With all my respect, I believe xenForo is doing some real big thing to rock the forum solution market, and precisely nailed the orientation of the future goes, the simplicity and the light design are super friendly to those portable devices, and I wish the developer team would go a little bit further for considering the emerging end users that access the internet through the portable devices. I can't wait to see the release!

Keep up the great job!

R.

Also, a mobile skin will probably be in the works after version 1 of XenForo (Can't say when it'll be released).

But for those portable device users like iPad's are actually expecting the full feature web interface, not a mobile skin... and that's why I think XenForo is the most standing out one.
Ahhhh, can't wait to see the official release!!!! ( emm, how much is it gonna be?;) )

But for those portable device users like iPad's are actually expecting the full feature web interface, not a mobile skin... and that's why I think XenForo is the most standing out one.
Ahhhh, can't wait for the official release!!!! ( emm, how much is it gonna be?;) )
A mobile skin can be the exact same as the default skin; it'll just be designed to optimize the mobile browser experience.

As was stated earlier, hover events don't work correctly, so instead they'd have to use swipe or click events.

I'm sure Kier has this planned out in such a way as to impress everyone though, as just looking at how usable XenForo was on my phone, I can already see the mobile skin being highly usable. 

Which ones? Since they shouldn't. There's no mouse to hover status ..

A tap in the general area, I've got one here, whilst the home page was loading: I've cut out the crap to make the image smaller.

iphone-hover.png

Top Bottom