Considering migrating a 41,000 member 200,000 post board to Xenforo from VB

Khashyar

Hi Guys...

We have a VB forum that has: 29,704 Threads, 206,073 Posts, 41,985 members, and we are considering migrating to Xenforo instead of upgrading to VB 4.

We have been with VB since 2003, but we are thinking that Xenforo is the future, and personally, I don't like depending on a big corporate owner to do what's best for customers.

So, thank you for helping me with these questions:

1) I looked on the Xenforo home page, as well as within the forum, and I cannot find a definitive list of Xenforo features all in one place. If I missed the detailed feature list, can you please post the link for me. Thank you.

2) I have read on this forum that Xenforo has a built in importer for VB 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8. Will the importer work with VB 3.0.x?

3) Are there currently any conversion bugs or known issues when importing from VB to Xenforo? I was trying to look for a screenshot of the importer, saw it once, but could not find that again. Can you please post that link. Thank you.

4) I have read about the VB lawsuit, and know that the first round of litigation was decided in Xenforo's favor last Spring. What are the chances that VB could win the later rounds of the litigation and shut Xenforo down? I know that you need to be sensitive and careful about what you say, but I just want to feel comfortable that if we invest the money, time and goodwill of our forum members in the move, that Xenforo will be around for years to come.

Thank you for helping us with these questions so we can comfortably make the best decision for our community.

Khashyar
Los Angeles

1) You may want to have a look at Development Update, May 2011 as well as go through this thread. Though some of the features about to be released with 1.1 are being kept as a pleasant surprise for everyone. ;)

2) Apparently, the inbuilt importer with XenForo 1.0.1 supports vBulletin 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8, and Invision Power Board 3.1. Whether this has been changed or not with 1.0.4, the current release of XenForo, I guess someone from the Moderators or Developers could better answer that for you. :)

3) Perhaps this and this would help you with your curiosity. :)

4) We've all been there, thinking exactly the same thing. If you're really up to some detailed reading, perhaps California Case Update by Shamil would be a good read. What I can say is that there's a very good reason that you can't see any posts from members worrying about this aspect anymore and that the last update on the case was back in July. Like most of us here, I wouldn't worry much if I were you. ;)

While Im following the law suit out of interest, it would not make me hesitate for one second to migrate my big board to XenForo. The only reason why I am not migrating yet, is that I need certain functions to be implemented. It does seems like XenForo may be the future. vb seems to be the past.

While Im following the law suit out of interest, it would not make me hesitate for one second to migrate my big board to XenForo. The only reason why I am not migrating yet, is that I need certain functions to be implemented. It does seems like XenForo may be the future. vb seems to be the past.

Thanks, Alfa...

It does seem like Xenforo is the future...

I loved VB, and have been a VB user since 2003, but I don't like how they treated their customers, and I don't like how many issues VB 4 had.

And, I respect the passion that the Xenforo developers have, and trust their expertise since they cut their teeth on VB since the beginning.

Hey guys...

Does anyone know if the default VB 3.6 importer imports the same data as the VB 3.7 importer?

Is there any other data that is imported?

Xenforo_vb3.7_importer.webp

I would like to understand what data would be imported, and which data would not import.

Thank you.

1) I read the links you posted, but I wish that there was an official list of current features for Xenforo, even if it does not include the "locked" features to be released later. It would help me and other potential customers decide whether to migrate.

2) Yes... It looks like we will probably upgrade through the VB upgrade option from 3.0.x to 3.6 first... That seems the cleanest and safest.

3) Thank you, this thread was very helpful regarding migrating from VB 3.x: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/migration-exprience-vb3-8-4-to-xenforo.18535/

4) Thank you also for the court case update.... It does seem to look promising for Xenforo, but... I don't think we can say it is 100%. So, at this point, it is an act of faith and instinct and understanding the best odds, in making a decision to migrate... My forum team are considering this carefully, although there is a part of my that WANTS to believe and migrate.

1) You may want to have a look at Development Update, May 2011 as well as go through this thread. Though some of the features about to be released with 1.1 are being kept as a pleasant surprise for everyone. ;)

2) Apparently, the inbuilt importer with XenForo 1.0.1 supports vBulletin 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8, and Invision Power Board 3.1. Whether this has been changed or not with 1.0.4, the current release of XenForo, I guess someone from the Moderators or Developers could better answer that for you. :)

3) Perhaps this and this would help you with your curiosity. :)

4) We've all been there, thinking exactly the same thing. If you're really up to some detailed reading, perhaps California Case Update by Shamil would be a good read. What I can say is that there's a very good reason that you can't see any posts from members worrying about this aspect anymore and that the last update on the case was back in July. Like most of us here, I wouldn't worry much if I were you. ;)

Thank you, Edrondol...

I believe that our IT guy can do the migration...

Although, we want someone to create some custom add-ons or skins.

One thing you might want to look at is the Third Party Services sub board. There are a few pretty experienced users here who will convert your board for cheap. They are well aware of the needs of a vB user with links and redirects. I'm not saying I'm your guy, just that there are a few there who can hook you up.

1) I read the links you posted, but I wish that there was an official list of current features for Xenforo, even if it does not include the "locked" features to be released later. It would help me and other potential customers decide whether to migrate.

2) Yes... It looks like we will probably upgrade through the VB upgrade option from 3.0.x to 3.6 first... That seems the cleanest and safest.

3) Thank you, this thread was very helpful regarding migrating from VB 3.x: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/migration-exprience-vb3-8-4-to-xenforo.18535/

4) Thank you also for the court case update.... It does seem to look promising for Xenforo, but... I don't think we can say it is 100%. So, at this point, it is an act of faith and instinct and understanding the best odds, in making a decision to migrate... My forum team are considering this carefully, although there is a part of my that WANTS to believe and migrate.
1) I'd actually advise you to not make a comparison that way, and I'll tell you why. It simply isn't logical to compare a software with 10 years of development with one that has not yet completed it's first year of stable release. Obviously, you will see features missing here and there. Look at it in terms of:
a) Does XenForo provide a better user experience? I have yet to find anyone saying that it hasn't. Several people have reported steep spikes in posting as well as visitor activity.
b) What features would your users miss out on, if you migrated? This is something you need to evaluate for yourself, as to what features are of prime importance for your site, so much that you can't ignore them. If you're not comfortable with what XenForo has to offer, probably the best decision for your site would be to wait.
If you have some certain features in your mind you would like to know about, shoot away and I'm sure someone will let you know whether they are available or not.
2)I would think so too.
3) You're welcome.
4) No one can say anything is 100%. What I see is a corporate organization hurling obstacles in the path of their competition, followed by dismissal of some of their claims by court, and then later on withdrawing their own motion for a preliminary injunction. Having said that, it would only be prudent for you and your team to evaluate all aspects before making any move.

Thank you, Saeed...

You make some good points.

I do agree that the user experience is more important than a laundry list of features.

And yes, I do know that more features will be added as time goes by and the software matures.

One question... I read that in V 1.1, that there will be custom profile fields. Has that been implemented yet? (I don't see it in the version that this forum is using). We want to migrate our country flags and some other profile info, so it would be helpful if there was a way to create custom postbit and profile fields.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback, in helping us make the most informed decision possible.

Khashyar

1) I'd actually advise you to not make a comparison that way, and I'll tell you why. It simply isn't logical to compare a software with 10 years of development with one that has not yet completed it's first year of stable release. Obviously, you will see features missing here and there. Look at it in terms of:
a) Does XenForo provide a better user experience? I have yet to find anyone saying that it hasn't. Several people have reported steep spikes in posting as well as visitor activity.
b) What features would your users miss out on, if you migrated? This is something you need to evaluate for yourself, as to what features are of prime importance for your site, so much that you can't ignore them. If you're not comfortable with what XenForo has to offer, probably the best decision for your site would be to wait.
If you have some certain features in your mind you would like to know about, shoot away and I'm sure someone will let you know whether they are available or not.
2)I would think so too.
3) You're welcome.
4) No one can say anything is 100%. What I see is a corporate organization hurling obstacles in the path of their competition, followed by dismissal of some of their claims by court, and then later on withdrawing their own motion for a preliminary injunction. Having said that, it would only be prudent for you and your team to evaluate all aspects before making any move.

Thank you, Saeed...

You make some good points.

I do agree that the user experience is more important than a laundry list of features.

And yes, I do know that more features will be added as time goes by and the software matures.

One question... I read that in V 1.1, that there will be custom profile fields. Has that been implemented yet? (I don't see it in the version that this forum is using). We want to migrate our country flags and some other profile info, so it would be helpful if there was a way to create custom postbit and profile fields.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback, in helping us make the most informed decision possible.

Khashyar
As far as I know, this is still being released with 1.1. The XenForo site is running 1.1 but all it's newer features have not yet been enabled, even over here. The 1.1 release and announcement is expected in "weeks, not months", so maybe waiting till you can see what exactly does 1.1. showcase would be agreeable for you and your team. ;)

Update: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/where-is-1-1.18976/page-22#post-252331

Thank you, Saeed...

From what I read, I thought that 1.1 was already released, but perhaps I misunderstood.

I do look forward to the continued updates...

We have the interest, manpower and donations to do the upgrade now, so we may migrate anyway.

1) I looked on the Xenforo home page, as well as within the forum, and I cannot find a definitive list of Xenforo features all in one place. If I missed the detailed feature list, can you please post the link for me. Thank you.
Have You Seen...? is your place to go most features are there + you can see it yourself don't forget to try the demo

2) I have read on this forum that Xenforo has a built in importer for VB 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8. Will the importer work with VB 3.0.x?
I don't think so. but, possible

3) Are there currently any conversion bugs or known issues when importing from VB to Xenforo? I was trying to look for a screenshot of the importer, saw it once, but could not find that again. Can you please post that link. Thank you.
No, but i have to alert you if you are going to import at this stage. You'll loss all of your albums and social group. not yet, but v1.1 would carry thread prefix and custom profile.

4) I have read about the VB lawsuit, and know that the first round of litigation was decided in Xenforo's favor last Spring. What are the chances that VB could win the later rounds of the litigation and shut Xenforo down? I know that you need to be sensitive and careful about what you say, but I just want to feel comfortable that if we invest the money, time and goodwill of our forum members in the move, that Xenforo will be around for years to come.
This is actually how met xf:cool:. I was so worry at first but i did purchase this product during the pre-sale for two reasons
  • the pre-sale :D
  • XF looks and feels different (totally different than vb) base on this observation, i purchase it and moved the second week. I really felt confident about the developers. hey its looking good so far ...
if you need any help, ask? we are here to help ...
I do recommend this software one advise for you, wait for v1.1 and than take some action base on what you see..

** xf is currently using v1.1 but many features has not been enable ...
We have not enabled all of the new features yet, as we would like to test new systems gradually, but look out for new bits and pieces appearing over the next few days.

Have you tried an Admin Demo ?

The Help Manual may also answer a few questions: http://xenforo.com/help/manual/

Thank you, Brogan... We can certainly look through the manual.

It would be wonderful, just for new customers, to have one page with a list of existing features.

We also look forward to the release of 1.1. I didn't realize that it was not released yet.

But again, I've been a VB forum owner since 2003, and value and trust the former VB developers here at Xenforo.

It would be wonderful, just for new customers, to have one page with a list of existing features.
I'll put it on my to do list...but it's a fairly big list at the moment anyway ;)

We also look forward to the release of 1.1. I didn't realize that it was not released yet.
1.1 was rolled out here on XenForo.com last Friday. New features are being gradually implemented over a short period of time.
Shortly after it will be made available to customers.

Top Bottom