Congratulations Cloudflare :)

Been following the story since yesterday; makes you wonder if any wider changes will be made because of it.

Unrelated but my site was DDoS'ed this morning; only for around 15 minutes thankfully.

Relatively simple (but dangerous and efficient) dns refelection attacks. Simple, because it doesn't require much knowledge to launch such an attack and dangerous, because you do not need many resources (= own bandwith) either.

Blame those who are still running open and unsecured name servers for no apparent reason - it's pretty much like depositing a tactical nuke in your backyard, waiting for some bad guy to pick it up.

ya... That Internet War Apocalypse Is a Lie

This would be so terrifying if it weren't advertising. Prince, of course, is in the business of selling protection against online attacks. And his company is, as far as I can tell, pretty good at this business. But he's also clearly in the business of scaring people: in his blog post today, he warns that the Spamhaus attack "may prove to be relatively modest" compared to what comes next. Bigger nukes, I suppose.

however this.. Egypt catches divers cutting Internet cable amid disruptions
was actually something to be worried about though

Another reason why I'll never use Cloudflair
;)

And here's a note from one of their upstream providers, http://cluepon.net/ras/gizmodo. He pretty much confirms my skepticism and says what I was thinking, but in a much more articulate way. :)

For those that don't know, RAS was co-founder of nLayer (acquired by GTT), which is one of CloudFlare's primary providers.

And here's a note from one of their upstream providers, http://cluepon.net/ras/gizmodo. He pretty much confirms my skepticism and says what I was thinking, but in a much more articulate way. :)

For those that don't know, RAS was co-founder of nLayer (acquired by GTT), which is one of CloudFlare's primary providers.
What have we (once again) learned from this? Gizmodo is made up of tabloid journalists and shouldn't be taken seriously.

What have we (once again) learned from this? Gizmodo is made up of tabloid journalists and shouldn't be taken seriously.

That's pretty much tech blogs, in general. Not sure I'd exactly call it journalism. But in this case, Gizmodo had a better piece than just about every other media site covering the story (which simply took CloudFlare's article and ran with it uncritically).

It also didn't help that CloudFlare went with a sensationalist headline for their blog entry.

That's pretty much tech blogs, in general. Not sure I'd exactly call it journalism. But in this case, Gizmodo had a better piece than just about every other media site covering the story (which simply took CloudFlare's article and ran with it uncritically).

It also didn't help that CloudFlare went with a sensationalist headline for their blog entry.
Gizmodo is one of the worst though :p.

I stopped paying attention to them years ago, and pretty much all of the Gawker sites in general. I still follow io9, but I pretty much just skim headlines for the few that I actually care about.

Gizmodo is one of the worst though :p.

I stopped paying attention to them years ago, and pretty much all of the Gawker sites in general. I still follow io9, but I pretty much just skim headlines for the few that I actually care about.

Same here, and I'm sure we're not missing much!

I actually didn't read the Gizmodo piece until I after I came across and read RAS' response, heh.

Same here, and I'm sure we're not missing much!

I actually didn't read the Gizmodo piece until I after I came across and read RAS' response, heh.
Not for nothing...his note was easier to understand and follow than most of the random stories covering this event..

Not for nothing...his note was easier to understand and follow than most of the random stories covering this event..

Agreed. He did a great job with his write up, keeping it in laymen's terms for those who don't do much advanced networking, and considering the attack itself was blown out of proportion. Aside from CloudFlare tooting it's own horn (and hats off to them, it's great marketing), incremental increases in the *bps record just isn't all that interesting, by itself -- more natural progression if anything.

Top Bottom