Confused on Node permissions

Chumps

Hello,

I'm wanting to make the move from vB to xF but in the xF demo that I was playing around with I couldn't find anything to set node permissions for certain usergroups. So what I'm wanting to do is allow certain usergroups to see certain nodes. Seems like this should be a pretty basic feature for a forum and I think I may have overlooked something but all I've been able to find is 'Private node' but that would mean I'd have to allow each user manually?

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

Creating a private forum

Because of the way Revoke works in xenForo you shouldn't use it to restrict a private forum. Instead you should use a special feature in xenForo called Private node. You will see the Private node checkbox when editing the permissions for a specific node. This basically inverts the permissions so that you can specify Allowed groups instead of Revoked groups. This is actually better for group management if you add more groups later.

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click Permissions for a forum] -> Private node

A lot of people find this a bit difficult at first - room for an addon here?
One of the things I finally understood which helped, is that XF works best by adding only SMALL bits of capacity to a level of permissions.
So for example:

Registered usergroup: all grey /inherit except Conversations, edit Avatar. (Minimal capacity restricts spammers)
Forums101 usergroup: permits standard forum capacity like View Node/ View Content. (Passive viewing.) But another way to do this is to allow it per forum in the Node Tree on the Permissions tab.
Forums Post: permits posting, and using attachments (Active use of posts. Might merge with 101)
Forums/ Profile edit: permits editing own posts.

To create these small steps up set ALL the permissions on these usergroups to Grey/ Inherit at the top, then just alter the few which are relevant. Give the title display a really high
This is only an example to show how flexibility can be established.
I also have usergroups for Library Editor - can create Articles and edit them, for example.

Beyond this basic level you then set Permissions per forum/ Page/ Library if this is not set to View in a 101 usergroup.

Top Bottom