confused about node permissions.

electrogypsy

im trying to set up a premium member usergroup. this group would have access to the admin/mod forum section.

despite all the settings i have tried and reading through all the manual pages about user/node/group permissions, i can't set up the admin/mod node so that it can be seen in the main forum list, but when you click on it you cannot see the list of threads in that node. no matter what i do, i can only set it up so that i can see the node, and when i click on it i can also see the thread list (using the test permissions option as a registered user). this is NOT what i want, since i don't want regular users to be able to see what threads are in the admin/mod section, just that the node does, in fact exist.

just super frustrated and confused. can anyone help me with this? thanks :)

To allow it to be seen, but set to private do the following for the specific node:

Edit node permissions for the Unregistered/Unconfirmed and Registered group revoking all forum permissions except the view node. Set that to allow.

Edit node permissions for your premium usergroup allowing all forum permissions you want them to have.

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions

Start by enabling the Private node option. Then you will only have to specify allowed permissions.

When allowing permissions for your groups, only allow View threads by others for admins, mods, and your premium members.

To allow it to be seen, but set to private do the following for the specific node:

Edit node permissions for the Unregistered/Unconfirmed and Registered group revoking all forum permissions except the view node. Set that to allow.

Edit node permissions for your premium usergroup allowing all forum permissions you want them to have.

thanks for the suggestion, i did this and registered users can still see the thread list:

Screen Shot 2012-02-05 at 8.38.40 PM.webp

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions

Start by enabling the Private node option. Then you will only have to specify allowed permissions.

When allowing permissions for your groups, only allow View threads by others for admins, mods, and your premium members.

i have View threads by others set to "revoke" for all other user groups besides admins, mods, and premium members. is this correct?

it looks like admins/mods/premium members are set correctly, but registered users can still see the thread list. thanks for your help so far!

i have View threads by others set to "revoke" for all other user groups besides admins, mods, and premium members. is this correct?

it looks like admins/mods/premium members are set correctly, but registered users can still see the thread list. thanks for your help so far!

When using the Private node option you don't have to specify Revoke anywhere. You only have to specify Allowed permissions.

Hey guys. I just want to know if a solution has been found for this because I am having that exact same problem.

In fact I have two different nodes in different categories with the exact same settings for registered users;
(1) RU usergroup starts off with "View", "View Node", "View threads by others".
(2) Categories have everything set to Inheit.
(3) Private not ticked for either Node.
(4) Revoke all rights in Node Permissions.
(5) Set "View Node" to Allow in Node Permissions.

Both nodes appear as Private on the main forum list. One of them hides all threads from the user but in the other one they are visible if they enter the node. Is there any other place I could have a setting wrong? That is somehow overriding the "View threads by others" Revoke?

I see there is another thread on this as well;
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/noob-question-show-private-forum.28391/#post-384194

But nowhere does there seem to be a satisfactory answer as to what is causing the problem. Switching the node to "private" and only setting "View Node" to Allow still exposes the threads in the one Node. Something else is wrong.

I'm having the same issue (sorry to bump old thread). The forums are marked as private but when you click on it you can access it and view only admin's posts in the list. Once clicked to access to content of the post they can't due to permission, but I want them to not be able to view any thread on the thread list, just to know that this forum section exists.

I'm having the same issue (sorry to bump old thread). The forums are marked as private but when you click on it you can access it and view only admin's posts in the list. Once clicked to access to content of the post they can't due to permission, but I want them to not be able to view any thread on the thread list, just to know that this forum section exists.

Give this a try - make sure View Node: is set to Allow ... and then set View threads by others: to Inherit. If that doesn't work, set View threads by others: it to Revoke. (y)

Either they can see threads or they can't - that applies across all views
Okay let me try to explain better, my bad.
I have a category which I want to mark as private, people can see the category and its forums, but they can't access those forums or view anything in those forums, not even in the thread list.
In this category, I want to make 1 forum not marked as private, people can see it, they can access the thread list and the content of those threads.
The way I'm trying to do it so far is:
  • Allow View Node in the category. Revoke everything else (because inherit = allow in my case). That means they should be able to view the node, but not access anything not even the thread list. But they can, they can see admin's threads (and only admin's threads for some reason) in the list. That's where the problem is. They can't access the content of those threads (permission denied) which is good but still I want them to not even being able to see those threads in the list.
  • Allow View Threads by Others & View Thread Content in the forum. No problem on this side.

In fact it was a bug with "Test Permissions" feature. I was able to see my threads but I created an user with the same privileges as the tested user and I wasn't able to see those.

Top Bottom