XF 2.2 Configure Amazon SES in our Xenforo forum

Sadiq6210

Hi

I created new amazon SES account, verified the domain, created SMTP, and moved the account out of the sandbox. I think that our SES is ready.

Then in Email options, I changed the method to SMTP with SES information:

1650880117685.webp

1650879893437.webp

1650880287115.webp

Now when I try to send test email through Contact page, I got this error in admincp and the message is not delivered to "Contact email address"

Code:
Swift_TransportException: Email to ***@***.com from ***@***.com failed: Expected response code 250 but got code "554", with message "554 Message rejected: Email address is not verified. The following identities failed the check in region US-EAST-1: *** <****@live.com> " src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:459
Generated by: *** 25 Apr 2022 at 12:29 PM
Stack trace
#0 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(344): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->assertResponseCode('554 Message rej...', Array)
#1 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(305): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->executeCommand('
', Array, Array, false, NULL)
#2 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(406): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->executeCommand('
', Array)
#3 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(502): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->streamMessage(Object(Swift_Message))
#4 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(518): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->doMailTransaction(Object(Swift_Message), 'support+74cb150...', Array, Array)
#5 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(206): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->sendTo(Object(Swift_Message), 'support+74cb150...', Array, Array)
#6 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(312): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->send(Object(Swift_Message), Array)
#7 src/XF/Mail/Mail.php(458): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), Object(XF\Mail\SmtpTransport), NULL, true)
#8 src/XF/Service/Contact.php(197): XF\Mail\Mail->send()
#9 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Misc.php(86): XF\Service\Contact->send()
#10 src/addons/OzzModz/ContactusLog/XF/Pub/Controller/Misc.php(87): XF\Pub\Controller\Misc->actionContact()
#11 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(352): OzzModz\ContactusLog\XF\Pub\Controller\Misc->actionContact(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(259): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Misc', 'Contact', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(OzzModz\ContactusLog\XF\Pub\Controller\Misc), NULL)
#13 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(115): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(OzzModz\ContactusLog\XF\Pub\Controller\Misc), NULL)
#14 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(57): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#15 src/XF/App.php(2352): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#16 src/XF.php(524): XF\App->run()
#17 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#18 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(19) "/forum/misc/contact"
  ["referrer"] => string(41) "https://www.***.com/forum/misc/contact"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(7) {
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["subject"] => string(6) "test2b"
    ["message"] => string(14) "test2b message"
    ["_xfRedirect"] => string(29) "https://www.***.com/forum/"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(19) "/forum/misc/contact"
    ["_xfWithData"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

Did I miss anything in configuration?

Isn't there anyone who can give me a hand? I can provide you with my login details. He's trying in every way but I can't..
I authorized domain and email and I put the SMTP credentials to send emails with TLS encryption but it doesn't send any emails.

Isn't there anyone who can give me a hand? I can provide you with my login details. He's trying in every way but I can't..
I authorized domain and email and I put the SMTP credentials to send emails with TLS encryption but it doesn't send any emails.
Make sure the mail from which you are trying to send the mail is also the same mail that is validated in amazon account.

1701089975956.webp

Some service providers like Hetzner block ports from which the mails are sent, so you better use the port that is not blocked or you will need to contact your hosting provider to open that port for sending mails.

No, i dont know if anyone will be willing to help you after your negative attitude towards devs in HYS topic.
But I hope you're joking???
Now can't we say that xf has practically stopped for many years and doesn't release any interesting features? In 2023 a person is not free to say this thing?
If I say this, can't I ask other users on the forum for help if I have a problem that I can't solve?
I repeat, I hope for you that I wanted to write a delirious post to increase your post counter...

• Haha
Reactions: Jja
Three weeks ago I tried to get a limit increase for Amazon and support said they would reply in 2-3 days. Never heard back so responded to the ticket 3 days ago.

On December 1, 2023 at 5:29:17 AM the support team flagged our account for spam and did a "manual review" stating, In general, we only perform manual reviews when our automated systems indicate that an account is sending unsolicited email.

Interesting how they said, "In General"

TWO MINUTES LATER at 05:31:49, the support team responded to our support team limit increase stating they could not reply because our account was effectively suspended.

SHAMEFUL AND DISHONEST!

Also worth noting, I stopped sending messages via Amazon SES 5 days ago and haven't sent a single message through them.

Very glad we have our own email server, Amazon SES is blacklisted on SORBS too.

Last edited:
Its' really rather ironic that there are multitudes of people using Amazon SES and not having issues... it has to bring into consideration that maybe the self-hosting choice that certain persons are using may have issues that they aren't aware of?
Personally.. no dog in the hunt... but after over a year (granted not a high traffic site) no issues.

My server is not even on production, still in test mode hiding behind the firewall. I sent some screenshots of my forum to make sure they know what my website is about and provided necessary info that they may care. They got me out of the sandbox in few days

it has to bring into consideration that maybe the self-hosting choice that certain persons are using may have issues that they aren't aware of?
I own and operate this forum for over 22 years and have self-hosted it and get the abuse complaints from Yahoo/AOL/Verizon/Microsfot etc. How can we have an issue when we are not even sending emails via Amazon SES in the past week? I had already pulled the plug on them after they didn't respond to a support ticket for 3 weeks.

They didn't like the request for an increase beyond 25 messages per second. 3 weeks ago, I requested to increase that, and they said they would respond in 2-3 days. Three weeks later, after no response, I replied to the ticket and said I guess that means it's not approved after they never responded.

The support agent then went in and performed a MANUAL ACTION to flag the account, and then 3 minutes later went to the ticket requesting the increase and replied "Thank you for submitting your request to increase your sending limits. We are unable to grant your request at this time because your Amazon SES account is currently under review in the US East (Ohio) region."

Not rocket science to figure out what went on there.

With that said, I escalated to a contact I have at AMZ and they are investigating the support team which is in South Africa.

We are glad that you have your own server.
Thank you for reminding it, come back later, so we dont forget it.
I've been in this space for 25 years and this is just another reminder not to be co-dependant on third parties for vital business operations. Facebook is a good example, people will have pages with 500k users and they pull the plug with no notice at all. We are definitely lucky not to have to rely on a third party who also will continue raising fees over the years to please shareholders.

I own and operate this forum for over 22 years and have self-hosted it

I've been in this space for 25 years
Again, seems like You like to increase your self-esteem somehow with these posts by writing in this topic many times, that you self hosted server, 123 year experience (still hosting on Windows...)
Let me be clear! This is/was topic about configuring SES for xenforo, then you started this all flaming how amazon is bad, overpriced and "my server is best server (windows)."

If you have some issues with SES or other their products, make your own topic about it and do that there, because this was about configuring it, not your personal issues.

Anyone else have a 90 Message per second sending limit?

They escalated my ticket to US support and their findings were the same as mine. Always good when a company admits fault and now I have access to an account that sends at 90 messages per second as a backup.

It's still disturbing they have flunkies in South Africa that did something like this to avoid responding to our rate limit increase.

Screenshot_20231203_092546_Outlook.webp

Acct-Dashboard.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom