Completely confused on what type of hosting setup to choose

I have switched some sites over to Rathosting as they are small and you can't beat the cost IMO. Performance has been superior to any other shared host that I have used in that price range.
I've just set up on Ram Node, and so far I'm loving it. Had several low priority tickets submitted (not problems - just me not know what the h*ll I was doing :p) and usually got a response back within 15 minutes. Speeds seem nice and the price is nice for what I want. I'm paying something like $90 a year for a VPS with the following:
512MB RAM
2 CPU Cores @ 3.3GHz+
30GB SSD-Cached HDD Space
1Gbps Port
2000GB Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
16 IPv6 Addresses
Weekly Remote Backups
I used a coupon that I found that was posted in one of my other posts about VPS setup. It saved 30% for life (and it even carries across if you upgrade the server).. This one is normally $12 a month.

i´ve been using hostgator for the last 6 years and have no complaints what so ever... Im using the baby shared plan (the starter plan and the cheapeast plan) for a small community of 250 visitors (unique ip's) a day...
The good thing about hosts is that you can always switch to another one if you are not happy... So no need to worry... you'll be ok...
I was satisfied also... until they "upgraded" the server I was on.. started getting timeouts on mySQL, site was slower to respond, etc. Opened several tickets (and several chat conversations) with them and "Oh, the server you are on is performing within tolerance levels"... bullhockey. I got tired of 'em and moved over to a small VPS and the speed increased 3 fold over what it was (guess it helps that I'm now on a cached SSD VPS - would be faster on the non-cached, but for my small site it's not THAT important).

I was satisfied also... until they "upgraded" the server I was on.. started getting timeouts on mySQL, site was slower to respond, etc. Opened several tickets (and several chat conversations) with them and "Oh, the server you are on is performing within tolerance levels"... bullhockey. I got tired of 'em and moved over to a small VPS and the speed increased 3 fold over what it was (guess it helps that I'm now on a cached SSD VPS - would be faster on the non-cached, but for my small site it's not THAT important).

did you moved on to a small vps on hostgator or else?

did you moved on to a small vps on hostgator or else?
Total move to Ram Node. Took about 2 days for me (they only took about 5 minutes) to set up (with some great assistance from the guys and gals here - was not familiar with setting up from remote and using command line and didn't want to use Gnome/KDE since I'm not running 4GB on the server like I am on my desktop at home). Started with the 256MB package, but upgraded about 12 hours later. Waiting on my refund from HostGator to come in and going to bump it up to 1024MB.

Ghan_04 turned me onto Ram Node and the coupon was at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1246076

So it looks like xf isn't going to work out. Any new suggestions? Would a UK host provide any downside vs. a US host?

I don't really think so these days for someone viewing the site as a normal user/visitor. I believe it's more down to when you upload files and things to your website it may be quicker if they are located nearer to you.

I'm currently looking at the Whirlwind VPS from Nimbus Hosting. If it's managed and they install all the things for my XenForo website and future ones to work properly then I can't complain for that price.

Ended up going with MDDHosting after reading a LOT of reviews. So far, so good. Nice to have some responsive support and a working phone number. KnownHost also got glowing reviews but they're mostly VPS and up. If you're in the UK I'd definitely recommend Nimbus. I spoke with Tim personally and can vouch for his support.

Top Bottom