Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Competition has finished.

I can not see anywhere now what was the question nor the right answer. Everyone is asking now about the right answer to the question.

Did you really not thought about this? Or is it only me and all my site member that can not see anywhere the right answer and the question that was asked in the competition?

That isn't currently a feature.

Suggestion noted, however.

Maybe you could make a post and tell them what the answer is?

Also is there a reason why I am not able to see which members entered the competition? Don't understand why I was not able to see this during the competition and don't understand why it is not possible after the competition finished. I can only download the winners .csv file.

And there is one thing that happened to us:

One of the members didn't want the prize (tickets) as he can not attend the event. No option of re-drawing and we can not see who entered this competition. What is the recommended step to do in this case?

@Chris Deeming when do you think you can update this resource with the suggestions asked by add-on owners? Not sure if I want to run another competition until that time.

Hi @Chris Deeming!

I am testing Competitions Add-on and i have one question. Is there any way to introduce the correct answer after the end date? For example imagine a competition about a race. I can ask the users for their favourite winner but I don't know the winner until the event is completed.

Is there any way to implement this?

Yes but you have to do a few things first.

I forget the exact steps. But you just create the widget using the advanced renderer that lets you specify a template name. Put in the template name of the competitions sidebar block and save.

It should now show up at your specified location.

If you need them I can provide more detailed instructions later.

@Chris Deeming just got able to buy, the sidebar working fine. Just need to figure out several layout issues, mad boxes inside boxes that shouldn't be there. But it's a nice addon.
I hope it is expanded soon, like possible to add many questions in one competition that will show up randomly 1 question from the list, to avoid easy cheating, also option to have more than a question at once to people enter competitions.

Last edited:
Some suggestions:
Why not improve the Competition Creation to be able to give normal users the permission to create (with later approval by one admin to be published), without reveal sensitive info about your forum user groups, set one fixed forum to the thread be posted, etc... One staff can have all the options but i wonder if we want to give one normal user also the chance to create with more limited creation options.

One Awesome feature for competitions is to allow apart from normal prize draw with questions, text fields, or even upload field, for example it's common around forums competitions asking for Art, or even one story, and they itself check the entries and see witch one they want to win.
If this addon got able to add this competition types and let us check the entries and the set the winners, it would be amazing.

One last thing, why view Archive is one Staff permission?

Last edited:
Heya @Chris Deeming sorry for another post but i'm experiencing a issue with the addon on, so by mistake i got the end draw and have chosen the winners way early than what it was supposed to be. I ASAP noticed and fixed it by extended it to the right day, but it shown as complete on archive. So i gone to phpmyadmin edited both tables to set competition 1 in one, and set all winners/runner ups back to losers.
But one thing i can't change, on the user profiles it still shows the list of all the winners, even if i already made this changes, is this cached or something?
But my question is, when this next date ends, will it chose again the winners normally or it's already broken? Because it is a competition with 270 entries :(

@Chris Deeming just got able to buy, the sidebar working fine. Just need to figure out several layout issues, mad boxes inside boxes that shouldn't be there. But it's a nice addon.
I hope it is expanded soon, like possible to add many questions in one competition that will show up randomly 1 question from the list, to avoid easy cheating, also option to have more than a question at once to people enter competitions.

What are they going to cheat? Skill testing questions are normally there for law type reasons. Your giving away a prize. You don't want to make it too difficult.

James

If a competition has already ended, you should not try to reopen it again. And definitely not via the database.

I would recommend creating a new competition.

@Flexin i am noticing a large number o cheaters entering the competition i created, fake accounts, etc... I know they are fakes (multiple accounts detector) but one thing that frustrates me a bit about the addon is i can't see or manage the entries, what makes tries to cheat the system easy if i want to make it available to everyone and not special groups.

@Chris Deeming now i quite can't do nothing, if something goes wrong i use the old draw winners list manually, with many entries already people would get mad. Thanks anyway, and a minor issue for some reason, on some user profiles the competition tab appears without any content when such user did not even enter one competition.

Last edited:
So the contest did end and it chosen new winners normally! :rolleyes:uff, only 1 issue:
- On this addon video, it shows on profile that if a user wins a competition, it adds a "competitions won by X" on the profile tab, but it's not doing that (i did a test competition same result). Is it a bug?

After the competition ended, one of the winner accounts was a fake account, and i can't do nothing about it to remove it from the winners selection, so i created a new thread invalidating that user entry and gave the prize to the first runner-up.

One minor suggestion i think it was missed by the developers around, is to add criteria for trophy/notices and usergroup promotions, so it's easier to organize everything! :)

Last edited:
@Chris Deeming

Seem to have hit a bug. A competition I am running is not due to expire until March 2014 (It's for titanfall CE Edition) - The competition flag shows 1 competition to enter, but if someone clicks on it, it shows no active competitions. However, under archived competitions, it shows and it shows as still being active.

This is a big problem, as the competition was proving a big source of sign-ups to a relatively new site. I have checked, and the competition seems to think it's still active, but doesn't show on Index.

Will you be able to take a look?

I can take a look. Ideally I would need access to your site and an account that can manage competitions.

Thanks @Thom Tyler.

I'm pleased to say that I have fixed this. It's actually sort of a configuration issue, but also something that I can improve in the next version.

It relates to this setting:

upload_2013-12-20_18-20-38.webp

I have upped this to 180 days (the current maximum) and the competition now appears.

The anticipation is that most competitions won't last longer than a few weeks, but, of course, that isn't a very flexible idea. The purpose, though, is so that there's a period of time where completed and past competitions can appear on the competition index.

Where I might go with this is to keep the setting, but make it so that open competitions are always listed, no matter how long they run for. This particular competition runs for around four months in total. That should be possible without having to adjust this value.

But for now, that is the solution. And the only downside is that your old competition will show for up to 180 days.

Top Bottom