Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Chris. My members are using the forum for two kinds of contests:
1 music contest
2 Mystery picture contest
the format is pretty much the same for the above.
A member uploads a media (picture or mp3) and then invites other members to guess what it is or who the group or song title is. Then a winner is chosen and points awarded to a leader board. Is this something I can do with you're add on? Or can it be adapted to do this?

I'm currently specifying an update to add new features.
Please reply to this post with those features you would like to have added. Please explain carefully how your suggested new features would work so that I understand you fully.
The features that I think will be of use to the most people will be considered as a priority. Those features which are more niche will be given a low priority.
Which new features I commission will depend on the estimated development cost and their likely effect on sales.

Reactions: HWS
miscellaneous:
  1. Add the possibility to sponsor an existing competition paying for that.
    Example:
    There's already an active competition that is with sport shoes as prizes: a local or online seller could pay to become the official sponsor of that competition and get visibility
  2. Add the possibility to have a live view with some graphics or animation of the "picking the winner" moment with some emphasis during that; so, again, sponsor can get more visibility and users can partecipate and cheer to the moment.
  3. Add the possibility to set hour and minute to close competition
    so closing time can have more audience, people will receive alert/email in more active hours and I think they will
  4. add a (global?) Notice or send an alert to notify that a competition will soon close
  5. Display a countdown below competitions in sidebar
  6. Add the possibility to enter the competition without the requested requirements paying for that (ok can be possibile with usergroups upgrade but I'm thinking about something more immediate). With real money and/or credits from a credit system.
  7. Add a maximum age limit to enter the competition (so can enter only people from 14 to 32 years old for example)

Add the possibility to sponsor an existing competition paying for that.
It's already possible to do this. And we do it. https://www.avforums.com/competitions/pump-audio-headphones-mega-giveaway-worth-£614.99/

Add the possibility to have a live view with some graphics or animation of the "picking the winner" moment with some emphasis during that; so, again, sponsor can get more visibility and users can partecipate and cheer to the moment.
Not really sure what you mean 'live view'. Nothing would be happening.

Add the possibility to set hour and minute to close competition
We can already do that.

add a (global?) Notice or send an alert to notify that a competition will soon close
Not a bad idea.

Display a countdown below competitions in sidebar
I like this idea.

Add the possibility to enter the competition without the requested requirements paying for that (ok can be possibile with usergroups upgrade but I'm thinking about something more immediate). With real money and/or credits from a credit system.
There have been previous requests to be able to pay to enter with https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-banking.536/ This is being considered.

Add a maximum age limit to enter the competition (so can enter only people from 14 to 32 years old for example)
Do you have an example why this would be useful?

Stuart, I may be missing it but I'd love to have the ability to set a notice/notification to show to those users who are "not entered in an active competition". I guess that'd be a user criteria. For it to be true, a user would just have to be not be entered into any open competitions (for simplicity), so they get the notice, while users who are entered would not.

Stuart, I may be missing it but I'd love to have the ability to set a notice/notification to show to those users who are "not entered in an active competition". I guess that'd be a user criteria. For it to be true, a user would just have to be not be entered into any open competitions (for simplicity), so they get the notice, while users who are entered would not.
To let people know there is a competition running that they haven't entered, presumably?
The notice criteria are all global things. What you're suggesting is having each individual competition related criteria. I will have to ask about that.
Not a bad idea for notifying people about competitions. Could get cluttered, though, if there are lots which they haven't entered. And also it would need to verify they are eligible to enter the competition before showing the notice. Which would be a significant query.

Please reply to this post with those features you would like to have added. Please explain carefully how your suggested new features would work so that I understand you fully.
The features that I think will be of use to the most people will be considered as a priority. Those features which are more niche will be given a low priority.
Which new features I commission will depend on the estimated development cost and their likely effect on sales.

One of my most wanted here, is have more competition types. Currently it's this random pick from correct entries to a question, or a answer field.

For example, competitions with.. custom fields? Where we manually pick the winner / runner up entries?

That would allow quite nice stuff, like File Upload entries to one art competition for example.

Text Fields for one text competition from witch we then could select the winner from.

Possibly an option for public votes per entry? There's much that can be done, but seeing this as a competitions addon, if it is expanded, it should be to allow to do competitions outside the current limited sphere the addon works.

Max

I'd just like it to be integrated with XFMG if possible to vote for the best image in a category or have an option for a photo winner selected at random from the entries over a given period.

Also, the ability to "copy" a competition so when a similar one is held it's a simple matter of changing the relevant details and keeping the rest.

Cheers :)

competitions with.. custom fields?
What do you mean?
The ability to have users be able to create their own would be nice.
They already can with usergroup permissions.
I'd just like it to be integrated with XFMG if possible to vote for the best image in a category or have an option for a photo winner selected at random from the entries over a given period.

Also, the ability to "copy" a competition so when a similar one is held it's a simple matter of changing the relevant details and keeping the rest.

Cheers :)
Have both of these on my provisional list already.

I can't understand if it's really already possibile or not... I mean "automatically" possible.
A competition already exists, I'm interested in sponsor it, I click a button, I pay and I become the sponsor of it (with the possibility to display a short text, web site url link and a banner).

Not really sure what you mean 'live view'. Nothing would be happening.
Example:
A competition end in about 5 minutes, in a dedicated page people could wait for the draw seeing a countdown animation.
When the time end, the page reload itself and start an animation that announce the winners (with avatars and nicknames).

Do you have an example why this would be useful?
simply to targeting the audience

Integration with XFMG for photo/video competitions.... although this might be beyond the scope of this addon.

Integration with XFMG for photo/video competitions.... although this might be beyond the scope of this addon.
If you could select a category and the competition shows thumbnails of the photos from that category with a radio button to vote against each, with the winner being the one with the most votes when the competition closes, that would do the trick, wouldn't it?
Debatable whether to show the number of votes for each since that might encourage people to tactically vote.
Would need to handle the situation where there is a tie.

To let people know there is a competition running that they haven't entered, presumably?
The notice criteria are all global things. What you're suggesting is having each individual competition related criteria. I will have to ask about that.
Not a bad idea for notifying people about competitions. Could get cluttered, though, if there are lots which they haven't entered. And also it would need to verify they are eligible to enter the competition before showing the notice. Which would be a significant query.

Yeah, not an easy solution I guess. There's gotta be an easier way of contacting all members who have not entered x competition.

Debatable whether to show the number of votes for each since that might encourage people to tactically vote.
Would need to handle the situation where there is a tie.
Both good points...
Perhaps don't show the votes until after comp has closed and in case of a tie have the addon select the winner from the tied entries randomly (as it already does now) I think most entrants would accept that if it was explained.

Top Bottom