Competition Breeds Innovation, People Are Scared Of XenForo And Rightly So!

Deepmartini

Check out all the new stuff IPB is rushing to get out:

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174-ips-company-blog/

They must be scared about the power of Xenforo and the rapid uptake. For too long, vbulletin and IPB have sat on their laurels raking in the dough without giving us users what we want. Remember, we're the customers and when a better solution comes along (like Xenforo) and addresses our needs--then we vote with our wallets and move on.

Competition truly keeps everyone on their feet!

IPB are great now but only for the latest version 'cause it's just like XenForo system exp; memberinfo, posts, forumdisplay page. However, I don't look at all so much yet.

Yeah the lawsuits by Internet Brands just prove that they're desperate and trying to hang on. Anyone who builds their business on a corrupt platform like that is risking serious stagnation leading to failure.

Yeah there's something about their user interface I just don't like. It's clunky and outdated.

I always felt this about Invision and therefor I never ever gave it a second look. I dislike their UI/UX very much: it is just not very good. For me vBulletin 3.8 still has the best UI/UX of any forum package out there and that is now surpassed by the new kid on the block: Xenforo.

If I may be so blunt to quote myself :oops::

Well... at least someone agrees with me then
wink.png
what I have always thought about Invision Power Board. For me IPB was never a serious option to consider, because quite frankly the look&feel /interface design of the package is, well... not quite my cup of tea so to speak. In fact, it's pretty bad. The backend may be technically great (as people tell me, because I have no clue)... but I do have a clue about interfaces and IPB does not excel in that area in any way. Next to vBulletin there was no alternative, that's why I was seriously upset, even shocked when I saw what Internet Brands was doing to the once outstanding vBulletin.

Now we -thank God- have XenForo and it is miles, miles ahead of IPB and even more so vBulletin when it comes to the UI. The outstanding UI of XenForo is one of the main reasons for me to choose XenForo over any other package available today on the market.

Converge is a good idea. It'd be cool to see a xenForo module, a vBulletin module, etc. on there and then we can all link our forums together.

They just never really implemented it. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Matt and his team, and xenForo is only really going to make IPB better.

In order for the competition to be scared, they must first be in compedition.
  • Invision Gallery
  • Invision Blog
  • Invision Converge Logins
  • Invision Content
  • Invision Nexus

While I do agree with you in the 'current moment' but any company worth their weight will be able to see a foundation of a great system well in advance of any add ons the new company will offer.

IP.Content is so 'advanced' that most site owners won't get the best of it unless they hire out all the work done within it. IP.Converge, although sounds great in print, looking over their support forums easily shows it's a app that was forgotten like a red headed step child.

Don't get me wrong, I have used IPB and love the community and developers, but it just didn't click with me... It was TOO much, TOO over the top. It was 20# of goodies crammed into a 10# sack. This is one reason I moved to XenForo.

I wouldn't say Matt and crew is 'running scared' but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they have looked into what the new kid on the block has offered and is tweaking their script.

Given what we know about Kier and Mike and Ashley, I think any company in business to make 'forum' based communities should take them seriously AND be alert to what the future holds.

I have always been one that loves competition.. vB, IPB, phpBB, and now XenForo... it all helps us, the site owners in the long run for them all to want to out do each other. :)

Jamie

I think a year from now xenforo will be the flagship of forum software. Xenforo just innovates at every turn and it's as clear as the nose on my face that other software is being heavily inspired by what xenforo is doing. Implementing it however, even down to the smallest things is another story which xenforo naturally does very well.

IPB don't get me wrong is run by highly respected developers whom treat their customers very well. I even considered ipb before xenforo but I just can't see their IU improving. The structure for me is heavily cluttered whilst xenforo UI, struture as a whole is clean, structured to near perfection which will get people aware as each day that passes.

Saying that. Fair competition will play out for the end users as it should. Now, people will not accept anything less than quality which for me personally was lacking leaving forum products stagnating before xenforo came along. If it gives customers a a better deal then that is only a good thing.

We love competition. It's healthy for any industry. :)
Matt and I belong to a group that believes that having strong, innovative competitors is a good thing. An absence of competition serves only to foster stagnation.

There are two ways to react to a strong competitor. You can either strive to improve your own offerings such that potential customers are persuaded to choose your product rather than that of your competitor. Alternatively, you can sue your competitors and threaten their potential customers.

Top Bottom