Comparing the speed of Xenforo to the big 4

When comparing second visits, vbulletin 4 is first starting render in less than 1 second where xenforo takes more than 1.6 seconds. This is more than 60% slower.

vb42.webp
This is vb4 second view. And this is xenforo second view:

xf2.webp

Marcus, if vbulletin cant optimize their own website its sad...

you never cant obtain a better result than the official vbulletin forum, unless you customize your forum a lot (deleting code)

If I don't execute subforums on my xf install, start render time is reduced to 1.6 !!! I removed this from template node_forum_level_2
Code:
 <xen:if is="{$renderedChildren} AND {$level} == 2">
<div class="Popup subForumsPopup">
<a href="{xen:link forums, $forum}" rel="Menu" class="cloaked" data-closemenu="true"><span class="dt">{xen:phrase sub_forums}:</span> {xen:number $forum.childCount}</a>

<div class="Menu JsOnly subForumsMenu">
<div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
<h3>{$forum.title}</h3>
<div class="muted">{xen:phrase sub_forums}</div>
</div>
<ol class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
<xen:foreach loop="$renderedChildren" value="$child">
{xen:raw $child}
</xen:foreach>
</ol>
</div>
</div>
  </xen:if>

This seems interesting. How do I do this? Do I simply remove the code from /install/data/templates.xml?

Please write here if you find a speed improvement. In xenforo debug modus you see on the end of each page the time it takes to deliver the page.

I definitely found a visual speed improvement as I have over 9000+ forums on my site. (yeah I know!)

I didn't remove the entire code snippet, but just the drop down as I still wanted the count to be shown, here it is: http://www.medisherpa.com/community/. See under 'United States Forums.'

I'll look up how to turn on xenforo debug mode and get back to you with some numbers.

Before:
Timing: 10.1150 seconds
Memory: 198.324 MB
DB Queries:9

After:
Timing: 6.7003 seconds
Memory: 192.335 MB
DB Queries: 9

If removed completely:
Timing: 6.3870 seconds
Memory: 192.324 MB
DB Queries: 9

All things being equal, there's only one forum that's of comparable speed with XF: myBB. It is incorrect to posit IPB as anywhere close to fastest; in all of the equivalent tests I've seen ,IPB comes in 3rd, right in front of VB, which makes sense, as IPB developers have aimed for a 'jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none' approach, whereas we know that Kier and Mike have gone for a grippingly optimized next-generation approach.

My tweaked vb4 could produce my forum home page in 0.04-0.06 seconds whereas my tweaked xf takes more than 0.1 seconds. Hundreds of forums slow down xf. xf is much faster on topic pages.

My tweaked vb4 could produce my forum home page in 0.04-0.06 seconds whereas my tweaked xf takes more than 0.1 seconds. Hundreds of forums slow down xf. xf is much faster on topic pages.
Publish the tips to tweak xf buddy

Top Bottom