Community-made 1.1.4 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insy

Hi everyone,

Most bug reports in http://xenforo.com/community/forums/bugs/ include modifications to be made in the source code to fix them.

Since development is paused and as we'll waiting several weeks (months?) before the next release, is the developer community on XenForo.com (Jake, Chris, etc.) could release themselves a 1.1.4 which containing only bug patches? Why not?

This would help customers to wait the next major release and to not have to "tweak" their sites.

I know this is a weird idea but it came to my mind and I wish to have your opinion :D

As usual, it's useless to reply for criticizing XenForo, KAM, a staff member or whatever else.

Thanks!

And who would be responsible if the "fixes" introduced a new security exploit?

People would know that this would not be official so like with all 3rd party stuff you would be using at your own risk type of thing. There's never a guarantee with anything even if the fix came from the XF dev(s) or was officially passed out as a fix by 3rd party sources, sources being the community in this case.

I'm on the fence with this one. I think it's a good idea but I'm not sure I would install any 3rd party fixes unless I knew who was involved, will there be some kind of quality control, if so what would that entail? Always good to have things tested, re-tested and when you think it's ready for release, test again and again making sure whoever is involved hasn't introduced a new security exploit, or a more severe one.

If it happens make sure those involved know it's a "Use at your own risk, this is not officially a fix from the devs or endorsed by them" or something along those lines to cover your backs.

Thanks for your feedback, an easy-to-setup patch would be a good solution :)
And who would be responsible if the "fixes" introduced a new security exploit?
That's why it'll be important that changes are confirmed by some skilled developers like those I mentioned in my first message (Jake,Chris).

I absolutely do not stand by any community driven XenForo project.

XenForo is XenForo because it is developed by Kier and Mike. Anything community driven just isn't XenForo.

For the sake of clarity: I would not support any of my work, paid or free, to be redistributed in whole or in part in a community release.

Right, while I would appreciate the effort...I would never use it. If it's not developed by Mike and Kier then it's not worth it. I'd trust my own developers to handle any potential reported security issues.

That's also right. What do you suggest?

You really should have stuck to your guns. Chris is not right, Sorry chris but i disagree with that remark entirely. Xf oozes quality, add-ons that derive from a good foundation are equally as good (checkout DP screenshots of his add-ons). The community pending who it is, who's involved can create an equally high standard fix, whatever it is this team would do.

XF is what it is because of the devs and the community (community from the early days). I'm looking at one feature placement design right now I put towards the devs which is an example what the community and talent of the community have.

I think I can understand your concern here chris, Is the concern that if this took off you could see a break away project community? Because that is very possible depending on how dedicated such a team would be.

If XenForo ever goes under, my plan is/was to do updates to it for personal use. If it was a third party thing driven by the community, I probably wouldn't use it because I wouldn't be sure of the quality.

Involving more developers, especially developers you can't be completely sure of their skills, will only dilute the quality of XenForo. This is where Chris was correct because a big asset of XenForo is that it is developed by Mike and Kier, if only because they're use to collaborating together, and because they both write quality code to the same standards they set.

Development and deployment would also be an issue, as no matter how I look it would break terms of service.

Involving more developers, especially developers you can't be completely sure of their skills, will only dilute the quality of XenForo. This is where Chris was correct because a big asset of XenForo is that it is developed by Mike and Kier, if only because they're use to collaborating together, and because they both write quality code to the same standards they set.
Very strong argument which make me doubt. So, there are three possible cases:
  1. Development of XenForo starts again and we have nothing to do, this is the ideal case.
  2. Development of XenForo remains on hold but a serious community-driven project provides minor updates (with the agreement of KAM?) which must be approved by well-known addons developers, reliable, secure, efficient and without any regression (of course).
  3. Development of XenForo remains on hold and no community-driven project is launched. Those who have money will hire freelancers to do updates (some have already started, if I understood properly). And for the others... they just have to fend for themselves.

Do it if you want, I won't be applying any community made release to my board though. I trust y'all, but not that much and there's plenty of things that could accidentally go wrong.

Do it if you want, I won't be applying any community made release to my board though. I trust y'all, but not that much and there's plenty of things that could accidentally go wrong.
I will not do it alone, and I can not do it alone. This is just an idea, there must have well-known developers who are agree to implement it.
If it does not happen, it does not matter for me, there are very good reasons against too :) And I'll wait like everyone else.

I'm perfectly happy with 1.1.3 (y)

If the devs (KAM) continue the project, awesome. If something else happens, I will stay at 1.1.3 and continue to work off it.

I would like for them to announce any major bugs with fixes, and we would do them manually.

A few people here have sent me a message about this thread. I can not imagine as to why my opinion is important (I don't think it is).

But I fear I must sustain and remain neutral on this.

On one hand I love the idea of taking XenForo in a "some what" open source / community driven software direction. In fact if KAM ever did decided to end XenForo (which they are NOT) .... I would hope they would allow it to continue in such away.

But as XenForo is living long and strong .... I also do not see a need at this time for the community to product it's own releases. In fact I would think it could pose a conflict in future versions.

However, I am open to the idea of the community submitting code for KAM review and approval for future versions. With the understanding that what is submitted will belong to XenForo Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom