Comments and Questions

Fred Sherman

First some comments. I find it a bit frustrating that I can't view upload images in the styles forum. Part of deciding whether or not to invest in xF is going to be in how easy it is to modify. I think you should be able to make some distinction between image/video files and code/text.
Secondly, WOW! It looks fresh and innovative with new apporaches to old challenges. It responds faster and cleaner. Its a much better user experience.
That said, I'll a little taken aback by selling a beta. I've done beta testing for many companies. Not even the Evil Empire in Redmond charges for betas. The combination of beta code and the albeit seemingly baseless legal action by IB, has me sitting tight on my wallet for the moment. But as soon as the situation clears, this software is set to make a clean sweep of my VB & IPB installs. Nicely done!
Now for the questions...
How solid is the conversion utilities from VB3, VB4 and IPB?
Is anyone offering proven migration services?
Has a mod community surfaced or is it all pretty well centralized here?
OO design should make mods, extensions and interoperability with thrid party software much easier than some other Cali-Euro offerings, yes?
Overall impression is this is incredibly well done. No reason that a few years from now this software shouldn't have the major market share in its space.

> How solid is the conversion utilities from VB3, VB4 and IPB?

vB3 and vB4 are solid. I have personally done several vB3 imports. And the vB4 importer (though unofficial) is based on the vB3 importer.

There is no IPB importer right now (official or unofficial). But many people have imported from IPB through vB. This method works perfectly fine but it requires more effort. Here is one problem you need to be aware of regarding user prefs:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/private-messages-and-email.8463/#post-117050

> Is anyone offering proven migration services?

xenfans.com has a service:

http://xenfans.com/pages/services/

> Has a mod community surfaced or is it all pretty well centralized here?

It is centralized here.

> OO design should make mods, extensions and interoperability with thrid party software much easier than some other Cali-Euro offerings, yes?

In short, yes. The MVC framework employed by xenForo affords rapid development of new features.

Although it is still in BETA stage, you are buying a license that will migrate over to the "Gold" release and then support will officially be started. By purchasing that now, you have the ability to provide feedback and get help throughout the community with reasonable manner. This means that when the "Gold" form is released, you'll be well prepared for it and know if your server will need higher specifications and be able to contribute to the final release that is being made. Those who view this site (which is constantly updated as they get things finalized) is the official demo site, minus back-end control.

Although it is still in BETA stage, you are buying a license that will migrate over to the "Gold" release and then support will officially be started. By purchasing that now, you have the ability to provide feedback and get help throughout the community with reasonable manner. This means that when the "Gold" form is released, you'll be well prepared for it and know if your server will need higher specifications and be able to contribute to the final release that is being made. Those who view this site (which is constantly updated as they get things finalized) is the official demo site, minus back-end control.

I could buy that argument if the 12 months of support began from the day of the Gold Release and not the purchase date of the beta. The purchase page says it includes one year of ticket support and upgrade access, but elsewhere says there is no support except the forums for beta. If someone can confirm that 1 year clock doesn't start ticking until the gold release, I'd buy my first copy in the next 24 hours!

I could buy that argument if the 12 months of support began from the day of the Gold Release and not the purchase date of the beta.
That's exactly how it works.

During the Beta phase support is limited to the forums.

Once the software is released as the first stable version, the 12 months of official support with a ticket system will start from that date.

As an additional incentive to adopt early, licenses bought during the beta period will have 12 months of updates and support starting from the date when XenForo 1.0 is released as a stable and supported version.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/beta-release-date-and-pricing.3876/

As of a minute ago, its no longer a problem. First conversion of the software that is not to be mentioned begins now.
Welcome to the Funny Farm and enjoy! You will love XF.
ohyes.gif

Top Bottom